?? Any Evidence Of This In Your Corner Of The Universe❓

nortada

Visit site
Referring back to the OP, despite what Priti alleges, it appears that in most of the EU, post Brexit, everything continues much as before. At least where healthcare is concerned.

grumpygit

Visit site
A very fair question but on the other side of the coin, why does the S1 scheme exist at all?

It is for oldies who have elected to emigrate so why should the British taxpayer continue to fund their healthcare overseas?

Wow a touch of ageist arrogance in there me thinks. It's probably because most have paid into the system all their working lives and are entitled to health care with in their pension rights unlike the privileged silver spoon brigade that slide about the place under the radar being condescending towards the people that follow the rules and do tax returns in their host country.
Remember health care works on a reciprocal scheme between any two countries. Also for those that are not up to date need to remember the EHIC is finished it's now a UK GHIC .

nortada

Visit site
Wow a touch of ageist arrogance in there me thinks. It's probably because most have paid into the system all their working lives and are entitled to health care with in their pension rights unlike the privileged silver spoon brigade that slide about the place under the radar being condescending towards the people that follow the rules and do tax returns in their host country.
Remember health care works on a reciprocal scheme between any two countries. Also for those that are not up to date need to remember the EHIC is finished it's now a UK GHIC .

Ageist arrogance? I would suggest quite the opposite.

As a legit resident, following the rules, I agree your sentiments about those chancers, who don’t but a plus for Brexit, They are finding it increasingly difficult to survive. Especially if they plan to travel in and out of the Schengen zones.

This is particularly applicable to boats that travel between marinas and will frequently have their documents and status checked.

The EHIC is still valid until it expires. The you need a GHIC.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Referring back to the OP, despite what Priti alleges, it appears that in most of the EU, post Brexit, everything continues much as before. At least where healthcare is concerned.
Don't know how you can come to that conclusion. While the agreement lays out clearly what the rights are, the issue is about how they have been implemented in each of the member states. As I said it would be really surprising if there have not been problems for some individuals. There have been in the UK for EU applicants (5m+ compared with 3m expected). The point she was making was that the UK has perhaps done a better job of implementation than the EU.

No doubt political but does not mean there is not some underlying truth.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Similar scheme in Portugal. You join a medical panel, pay a standing charge of €30 per annum. You pay for each appointment and any prescriptions but less than the going rates on the open market. If required, these panels can organise patients into hospital, again at a reduced rate. It appears to be popular with regular visitors who are not in the SNS (Portuguese Health Service).

Medical panel? I just went to local Centro de Saude and registered with a doctor (free of charge) which gives the right to State treatment throughout Portugal for a few euro per visit, same as locals. Then obtained Portuguese EHIC. If wanting quick treatment, anyone can visit one of the numerous private clinics which charge around €50 for consultation.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I know, but WHY?

Do people of a working age not emmigrate?

Can't be bothered trawling all the NH sites now but seem to remember there are different rules for those employed and paid in the UK but posted abroad, compared to those who move to another country and take up residence and employment. In the latter case, the country of residence where contributions are made is responsible for health care.

nortada

Visit site
Don't know how you can come to that conclusion. While the agreement lays out clearly what the rights are, the issue is about how they have been implemented in each of the member states. As I said it would be really surprising if there have not been problems for some individuals. There have been in the UK for EU applicants (5m+ compared with 3m expected). The point she was making was that the UK has perhaps done a better job of implementation than the EU.

No doubt political but does not mean there is not some underlying truth.
My conclusion is limited to healthcare and based on personal experience and listening to others.

nortada

Visit site
Medical panel? I just went to local Centro de Saude and registered with a doctor (free of charge) which gives the right to State treatment throughout Portugal for a few euro per visit, same as locals. Then obtained Portuguese EHIC. If wanting quick treatment, anyone can visit one of the numerous private clinics which charge around €50 for consultation.
As do I but a lot of folk are EU citizens rather than residents, who do not have access to the SNS and this works well for them.

Last edited:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Can't be bothered trawling all the NH sites now but seem to remember there are different rules for those employed and paid in the UK but posted abroad, compared to those who move to another country and take up residence and employment. In the latter case, the country of residence where contributions are made is responsible for health care.

True, but why not provide them with an S1?
If my son had been issued, his new country of residence would have been responsable for his healthcare from day 1.
Instead, he had a 'wait' for months.
Issuing a Form S1 wouldn't have cost the NHS anything.

nortada

Visit site
If my son had been issued, his new country of residence would have been responsable for his healthcare from day 1.
Might be wrong but like the EHIC scheme, I believe the UK picks up the tab for healthcare provided to those in the S1 scheme so making it universally available could prove costly.

#9 suggests, to qualify, you have to be a sole, rather than a duel resident but I am aware of a number of Ancient Brits who have entered the scheme but suspect they are unaware of the full implications.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of Brits qualify and are actually in the scheme.

greeny

Visit site
I know, but WHY?

Because its the agreed rules between EU countries and UK is hanging there in on this one, at least for the time being. Once you are in receipt of your pension and also for a few other circumstances like government employment abroad, healthcare costs fall to your original country not the one you live in now.
Planning your healthcare

greeny

Visit site
The S1 is all about who pays. When UK issues an S1 it means they are agreeing to pay.

Tranona

Visit site
My conclusion is limited to healthcare and based on personal experience and listening to others.
So, not the estimated 1.5m+ British citizens spread across 27 different states in the EU then. That is what Ms Patel was talking about and comparing with how the UK has dealt with the 5.5m EU citizens who have either been granted residence in the UK or are in the process. She was urging the EU to press the individual states to follow up on the agreement.

ean_p

Visit site
I have never understood how people can 'live under the radar' and 'contribute nothing'.

Their income is derived abroad (or they would not be invisible) , so no income tax due,

- W
sadly not always true as some countries lay claim to monies and assets earned / saved abroad..........!

grumpygit

Visit site

The way I understand it, is because your son is 24, and working in the EU so financially capable of taking out a private insurance . Why should the UK subsidise anyone who leaves to work abroad with health care. Like would you expect you son to get a full UK pension if he doesn't have enough NI contributions which he may not if he remains in foreign employment?
He should be fully registered as a worker with his host country and use the host's health care and social security systems once fully registered.
The system is made to make any underhand dealings of flying under the radar difficult, no registration, no services. Just an after thought, residency of a TCN does not normally give you the right to work in that country.
As for the S1, this is mostly for UK pensioners with a couple of other reasons which may fall into you son's circumstances. I think there is so much information on the internet that it shouldn't need so much of a discussion on here.

RAI

Visit site
I know, but WHY?

People of working age are expected to contribute to, and get their healthcare from the system in operation where they live. So they shouldn't need an S1 transfer of health care. EHIC is meant for emergency care for travellers and return to country of residence.