Any advice for someone new to boating in Thames?

Oz23

Visit site
Dear all, I just entered this world of cruising by buying a new cuddy/cabin cruiser (Quicksilver 505 with Mercury 20) with few extra bits. I'm very new to boating with absolute zero experience, but it was something I always wanted to do, so I bit the bullet and decided to go ahead with it. It will be on water in 2 weeks and I'll use it with my family (wifey + 2 kids). I will keep the boat in Penton Hook and I'm open to any advice you have for me, what to pay attention, where to start learning etc.

Question, I was told if I don't pass any lock, I can actually use the boat without Thames license until Jan 1st. I would like to use this time just to learn steering, mooring and other bits and pieces in short distances on the weekends. Do you think this is possible, or does it worth buying the license for 5-6 weeks?

Regarding insurance, I was told insurance changes if I use the boat on tidal and non-tidal Thames. I haven't seen any difference when I made quotes online. Of course, I have no plan to use it beyond Teddington any time soon, but just to make sure, is this something I need to decide now and buy the license?

Finally, is there anyone living near Penton Hook marina, who would be interested teaching me practical details for 2 hours or so? Thanks all in advance.

No Regrets

Visit site
Firstly, Hi and welcome!

I doubt you will be going too far in that boat, as it's a small open vessel with no apparent toilet (I stand to be corrected!)

While you certainly should be able to punt it around with no licence, you might get some stick from the rest of us who actually pay for the privilege every year. You should have a licence if it's floating, even in Penton Hook.

Don't plan too hard on going past Teddington. While somebody is going to come along and say they did it in a Canoe or other such nonsense, there's nothing practical for you to do there. You're at the wrong Marina too. There's far more up at Windsor/Bray in terms on nice places to stop and find a toilet (Unless you crammed in a Porta Potti!?)

You have a tiny vessel which will be great finding moorings and keeping berthing costs down, but has limitations in terms of endurance (Looks like weekends absolute tops, unless you're a masochist!)

There will be loads of people happy to teach you a thing or two, but it may be worth speaking to Roy at Bisham Abbey for some professional help. It's well worth while doing things properly even if it's just for health and safety, but also for self respect!

You could always pop up to Penton Hook and buy a visitors licence until you boat has been registered, if they will accept that!? (As you're not a visitor!)

Good luck, I can't help feeling you may have been better served by a larger even if older Shetland or similar though!?

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
The 505 comes in two variants, open and cabin.

Even if you have an "open" then you can still have lots of fun going around the Thames although I would consider eventually getting a trailer so you can also go to the sea as well and move around the Thames without long transits.

Insurance tends to cover you for both river and inshore coastal so the same policy will cover you.

You are probably between a rock and a hard place on the licence if you are keeping it in the water. The "going through a lock" bit comes from trailer boats where you pay for a day/week/month visitor licence at the first lock you come to after launching. Once its kept in the water at a Thames marina then it becomes a resident boat rather than a visitor.

If you can keep it out of the water then you remain a visitor which is good at this stage.

If its new to the Thames then it will need a Boat Safety Certificate prior to getting a licence. Again if you are just visiting then you can self-certify on the visitor licence form.

There are plenty of us smaller boats having our own sort of fun on the Thames and elsewhere.

Martin

Oz23

Visit site
Thanks for the comments No Regrets. Just to clarify one point, I will get a Thames license as of Jan 1st, my question was just for the remaining 5-6 weeks from mid-Nov to end-Dec. I'm all in for being legal on all things we do, so I don't really mind getting a temp license if that's needed.

I thought about getting a larger and 2nd hand boat but first, due to lack of experience I thought I can't deal with potential problems, that's why I decided to go for a new one. And I also wanted to keep my costs low in the first few years until I'm sure that's for me. I think this will be enough for my small family just for daily trips, easier to handle and moor.

Thanks for the tip on pro advice. I checked their website and found INLAND WATERWAYS HELMSMAN COURSE seems to be the right one for me if you guys say otherwise. I will inquire that one. I will still happy to meet anyone around Penton, always good to have someone to get advice in the future.

Oz23

Visit site
The 505 comes in two variants, open and cabin.

Even if you have an "open" then you can still have lots of fun going around the Thames although I would consider eventually getting a trailer so you can also go to the sea as well and move around the Thames without long transits.

Insurance tends to cover you for both river and inshore coastal so the same policy will cover you.

You are probably between a rock and a hard place on the licence if you are keeping it in the water. The "going through a lock" bit comes from trailer boats where you pay for a day/week/month visitor licence at the first lock you come to after launching. Once its kept in the water at a Thames marina then it becomes a resident boat rather than a visitor.

If you can keep it out of the water then you remain a visitor which is good at this stage.

If its new to the Thames then it will need a Boat Safety Certificate prior to getting a licence. Again if you are just visiting then you can self-certify on the visitor licence form.

There are plenty of us smaller boats having our own sort of fun on the Thames and elsewhere.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I have the cabin version. I will have the insurance before it hits the water. I guess I will just have the license to be on the safe side then. Thanks.

oldgit

Visit site
Lifejackets-Lifejackets Lifejackets. etc etc ......
You personally will be responsible of the most precious cargo anyone could ever carry.
Old mother Thames will give you experiences that will remain with you forever.She can however bite if you give her the excuse :)

Last edited:

Alan ashore

Visit site
Just to be quite clear on this, whoever told you that you can avoid buying a license if you don't go through any locks is basically advising (probably accurately) that if you choose to break the law in this respect you probably won't be found out.
Incidentally I presume you are aware than Penton Hook lock will be closed from now till 16 December.
Some insurers do indeed charge less for non tidal waters only. If such a policy looks attractive when you are shopping around, find out what it would cost to extend the range, but there's no point in actually doing so until/unless you need to.
If this is a brand new boat and you haven't finalised the deal it would be worth pressing the agent to get the BSS survey done for you and rectify any defects found.
Welcome to the river. Oh, and by the way, there really aren't any dragons lurking just my side (the muddy side) of Teddington lock, although yes you need to treat the Tideway with respect.

Last edited:

D12ty

Visit site
I was in the same boat as you about 6 weeks ago, except you have a boat :) Im still looking

Either way, i took the advivce from here and booked an Inland Waterways Helmsman course over at Bisham Abbey with a gent called Guyas. Although im not yet on the water i think it was well worth it, the full day was approx £200, fortunately i was on my own with the trainer and we covered the whole syllabus. For me the biggest thing was understanding the Locks and best practice as these are full of risk and mistakes can easily be made.

I'm far from experienced but feel confident i could jump aboard a boat and head out on to the Thames with the basics under my belt. They also offer a day aboard your own boat but i suggest you use their 23ft Green Parrot which i learnt on

Good luck and maybe will see you next season, if i dont have a boat by then then sod it ill just swim :eek:

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Firstly, Hi and welcome!

I doubt you will be going too far in that boat, as it's a small open vessel with no apparent toilet (I stand to be corrected!)

While you certainly should be able to punt it around with no licence, you might get some stick from the rest of us who actually pay for the privilege every year. You should have a licence if it's floating, even in Penton Hook.

Don't plan too hard on going past Teddington. While somebody is going to come along and say they did it in a Canoe or other such nonsense, there's nothing practical for you to do there. You're at the wrong Marina too. There's far more up at Windsor/Bray in terms on nice places to stop and find a toilet (Unless you crammed in a Porta Potti!?)

You have a tiny vessel which will be great finding moorings and keeping berthing costs down, but has limitations in terms of endurance (Looks like weekends absolute tops, unless you're a masochist!)

There will be loads of people happy to teach you a thing or two, but it may be worth speaking to Roy at Bisham Abbey for some professional help. It's well worth while doing things properly even if it's just for health and safety, but also for self respect!

You could always pop up to Penton Hook and buy a visitors licence until you boat has been registered, if they will accept that!? (As you're not a visitor!)

Good luck, I can't help feeling you may have been better served by a larger even if older Shetland or similar though!?

And you wonder why people just lurk on here.
A new poster and already he has the wrong boat in the wrong place and definitely don't go down there.You never fail to disappoint No Regrets.

Oz23.........enjoy your new boat,go wherever the mood takes you but just take everything slowly,you'll be just fine.A long hot summer next year and you and your family will have a fantastic time.Some of my best memories are of small boats on The Thames as a kid.
And as for toilets I'm sure you'll manage:),many do just that,don't take no notice....no regrets is old and retired and has to plan these things before he leaves his front door:)

Mirror Painter

Visit site
Lifejackets-Lifejackets Lifejackets. etc etc ......
You personally will be responsible of the most precious cargo anyone could ever carry.
Old mother Thames will give you experiences that will remain with you forever.She can however bite if you give her the excuse :)

This ^. PLUS if you start to think about using a gas cooker on board, even for a 'brew' please post again for advice.

I don't have a boat on the Thames at present but, when I did, I worked out the quickest ways to accidentally hurt / kill my family would be by drowning or explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning. Or having the propeller shred them. Please have a google for 'kill cord'. These are serious safety concerns. Once they are taken care of a boat on the Thames can be a wonderful thing for a family to do.

dash300

Visit site
I am old (well 60) and retired and started my boating life on the Thames with an ancient 18 footer with a 'crawl in crawl out' cuddy cabin with a smokey old Johnson on the back. We had some of our best boating times on it. Subsequently we had the good fortune to live beside the Thames until retirement with a number of larger boats, but our first boat was the most formative in our love for boating. We used to see all the boats passing us at Weybridge and those on their starter boats seemed to have the biggest :) The Thames is an ideal and sociable place to acquire boating expertise in relative safety. If you enjoy next summer afloat you will be hooked and be looking forward to moving up to your next boat as many of us on this forum did. Life jackets a must for kids in particular!

Visit site

prof pat pending

Visit site
As said above, the main thing is to enjoy yourself, don't be too worried about all the negativity above, we all get it wrong from time to time, as long as you learn something along the way it's all good :) If you fancy going further afield on it when the weather picks up, many of the locks have toilets, showers and camping facilities. Plan it right and you could probably do the entire river.

It might be worth looking at how long the river is basically closed for before you consider putting your boat in (and paying licence) over the winter http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...-winter-lock-closures-updated-14-October-2016 add that if we have a lot of rain and the levels/flow get too high the locks will go on to red boards (meaning you shouldn't proceed)

No Regrets

Visit site
I'm not being negative, just realistic! If the boat has no toilet, it's going to be quite a long way once you're past Teddington on the wrong tide, and in inclement weather such as the hailstorms we had this year, on otherwise nice days, most uncomfortable with water running all over the place and no heating.

I gave good honest advice AFAIK and stand by it. If you think a fully equipped Shetland or similar is inferior, you're out of your mind.

I therefore object to your harsh criticism for once :ambivalence:

Oz23

Visit site
Dear all, thank you so much for all the advice. Being a new member, all my messages go for approval within 12 hours hence I cannot reply immediately.

- Advice on lifejackets, 100% agreed, I already ordered for all the family as part of the package.
- Kill cord should be on the boat, seller was showing it before.
- Regarding my choice of boat, of course I can't argue with experience. As I mentioned, it was a conscious decision to avoid excessive costs and maintenance needs. Many "simple" things can be difficult for me in the beginning. Plus, if it wasn't a new and nice looking boat I guess my wife wouldn't be that keen to support :)
- Toilet is an issue. I will keep a portable chemical toilet for kids, and I'll use the pubs when I can. No immediate plans to go downstream over Teddington, eventhough I'd love to when I feel more comfortable.
- I'll take the 2-days course recommended, thanks for the advice.
- Boat safety scheme (BSS) certificate is not needed for new boats as I read. They accept Declaration of Conformity (DoC) doc, which I believe should come with the new boat.
- Thanks for the insurance link of craftinsure, looks pretty cheap, they don't even ask for boat details. I found it a bit weird, is anyone using them?
- I know winter is the wrong time to put the boat on water, but we are all excited. Is there a particular reason (other than it being cold) that I should avoid using my boat in winter?
- I didn't have an immediate plan to use a gas cooker but I was always thinking about a camping gas. Is there a reason for not to?

Again, thanks all for the encouragement, I look forward to a long boating years. I hope we enjoy it as much as you all certainly do.

Mirror Painter

Visit site
Re gas cookers, there are two potential problems, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning. Some info here:

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/carbon-monoxide-(co)/

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/fire-safety-for-boats/portable-gas-appliances/

I suppose neither should be a problem if properly install kit is used sensibly but I started to have nightmares about an explosion on the boat or poisoning my family while they slept so bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-OR...&qid=1478084619&sr=8-2&keywords=dometic+origo

It runs on meths and is much safer - particularly in the small confines of a boat.

Murv

Visit site
I use craftinsure for both boats :)
Never had to make a claim myself, a friend put in a substantial claim a few Years ago which was settled without question. She spoke very highly of their handling of it.
As for Winter, we've had some great days out when it's cold and crisp. Although, we're on a tidal river so you may need to check up on any lock closures.
Also, winter floods can be a real pain as I found out when I bought a Thames-bound boat at the beginning of this Year!
Other than that, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't enjoy your boat throughout the Winter. Just make sure you all wrap up warm enough, I know it's stating the bleeding obvious but it's quite staggering how even a little bit of wind chill can eat away at you. You don't want to put the family off before you've begun!

Enjoy, and good luck!

Last edited:

Chris_d

Visit site
A small open boat with an outboard engine no accommodation, gas, fridge etc... does not require a BSS certificate, one good reason to keep it simple :)

oldgit

Visit site
- Thanks for the insurance link of craftinsure, looks pretty cheap, they don't even ask for boat details. I found it a bit weird, is anyone using them

Made a claim to Craftinsure when a Thames Ait wilfully and without any prior warning leapt out in front of my boat, causing considerable damage, mainly to my boat.
Sent them a few photos and a rather weedy explanation and they paid up without fuss.

I know winter is the wrong time to put the boat on water, but we are all excited. Is there a particular reason (other than it being cold) that I should avoid using my boat in winter?

A couple of unplanned hours on a crisp winters day..can be a real treat, not something to be missed but not when if flows are high, the locks will have warning boards out.
Worth getting to know what they mean.

Last edited:

No Regrets

Visit site
Watch out for slippery pontoons and decks in the Winter!! Also, getting stuck out in really poor weather a way from your home port...

Don't be tempted to heat the boat inside with anything other than Electric. As already posted Carbon Monoxide is lethal, which I'm sure you already know :encouragement: