Antifouling plastic bow thruster prop

haydude

Visit site
I am replacing the bow thruster prop, the old prop is anti fouled with bottom paint and I intend to do the same to the new, however I did not prepare the old prop when new, but I am preparing this new one.

Please could you advise if I should just sand the new prop before applying anti foul paint directly on the plastic or should I use also a primer? And if the latter which type of primer?

Norman_E

Visit site
I have a Vetus bow thruster with a plastic prop. I don't anti foul it. I just swim and clean it gently by hand once in a while. The plastic is shiny, and any fouling rubs off fairly easily. If I leave it in over winter, as I am doing this year, its a simple matter to take it off and dunk it in a mild acid cleaner then replace it if the fouling has become a bit heavier.. If you sand it and roughen the surface you will probably be worse off after painting it than you would be just leaving it alone.

Plum

Visit site
Not sure what the paint manufacturers recommend but in March I abraded my plastic thruster prop with fine abrasive (I used one of those sponge foam blocks from the DIY store) and applied International micron 2 without any primer. When I dried out on the scrubbing posts in September there was no sign at all of the antifouling detaching and no fouling other than a bit of slime. This is in UK East Coast.

Colin. Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

David2452

Visit site
Normal antifoul can attack plastics, but there are several antifoul products available in small pot sizes which are designed for plastic transducers, one of them may suit, I have a larger pot of Airmar MDR 720 that I use on new installs, that too is available in small quantities and is as good as any other.

Skylark

Visit site
My first season, 2014, with a virgin bow thruster pair of plastic props was fairly extensive barnacle attachment. Prior to 2015 launch, I did little preparation, other than removing the little blighters, and painted with Primacon undercoat and Trilux 33 antifoul. Seemed to work well and I'll repeat / touch it up next season.