Antifouling - paint it or wot?

daveb

Visit site
We have a 17 ft cruiser which we intend to use for about 12 trailer trips to sea a year and the same for inland waterways. Help - do I need to anti foul and for which, or can I paint over the blue antifouling which is on it now?
If I have to get the old stuff off, how? I'm new at this! What precautions are needed. Your help would be appreciated.
Daveb

G

If the boat is going to be kept out of the water for the majority of the time then don't bother with antifouling. I used to 'dry boat' sail one of my old boats and because I used it every weekend and for 2 weeks summer hols I did anti foul it each year with just one thin coat to make it look good. To get the anti foul off can be a pain. If it is well adhered to the hull then just leave it, if it is starting to fall off then it is scrapers and sanding disks. MAKE SURE YOU USE MASK GLASSES ETC AS IT IS NOT GOOD STUFF TO BE INHALING.

That's my two penneths. Hope it helps.

duncan

Visit site
Just keep washing it off using a scouring pad after each trip and after a year, when there is more off than on, finish it with a good sesion. Dry sanding is much harder work and more likely to leave you needing to spend the same time again refinishing the hull.
Rather depends on how good the preparation was on the antifouling - often comes off (too) easily!

daveb

Visit site
Many thanks for your help. Given your advice I think I'll leave the antifouling on and let it wear off in time.
Daveb