ANTIFOULING -does it work? Discuss.

B

bob_tyler

How about a brief report on this forum of your experience this year? Keep it brief but useful. Submit it immediately after hauling out at end of season. Suggest location,make, no of coats and fouling at haulout. + some general comments if enlightening.

<hr width=100% size=1>

RupertW

Visit site
I had a conversation with somebody with a boat in (I think) Bradwell marina who had started a local noticeboard where everyone commented on how well each boat's antifouling was doing, with the idea that they'd try to get as many people in the marina as possible to use the one most effective for their area, so that the whole marina would become a fouling-free zone.

Classic bar conversation - we all swapped anecdotes about how we'd often had great results the first year we used a particular antifouling, but the effect had tailed off. In the end we decided that if you all went for the most effective antifouling then you'd end up encouraging the weeds and barnacles that could best survive it. So, everyone in the marina to use the same antifouling and everyone to change each year to keep the little buggers confused.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Stemar

Visit site
On a swing in Portsmouth Harbour. This year I used Blakes Tiger - one coat, plus a bit more around the waterline sloshed on between scrub off and rising tide in April,. I dried out a couple of weeks ago, and had a heavy slime over most of the hull, one or two barnacles, but no weed growth.

Last year I had what came on the boat. I think it was called miracle gro. My prop was completely hidden under the growth - yuk

<hr width=100% size=1>

No1_Moose

Visit site
Oooh, I am really sad and decided that I would see if a/f does actually work. It doesn't, really!

I painted a 50x50 cm piece GRP with all sorts of different stuff. After 5 months sitting in Chichester marina the results are as follows:
1) Dulux Brilliant White gloss with 7.5g of 99.8% Cu.
2) International Trilux with 7.5g of Cu
3) International Trilux
4) International Interspeed Ultra with 7.5g of Cu
5) Dulux Metal primer with 7.5g of Cu
6) International Interspeed Ultra

The White gloss is still gleaming white (apart from the green CuO)
The Interspeed Ultra is covered in weed and tube worm.

I will post a piccy of the board after the weekend.

<hr width=100% size=1>I do understand if you wish to ignore me!!!

Spyro

Visit site
I have noticed a considerable amount more fouling this year I have my boat in Largs marina I used exact same A/F as last year. I was wondering if the state of the water in the marina made any difference. last year the water was brown and visibility only about 12-24 inches due to all the piling and dredging going on, this year you can sometimes see right to the bottom on a clear day.
Any one else noticed it worse this year in Largs?

<hr width=100% size=1>

B

bob_tyler

A clear pic would be very interesting. Hope you can provide a key with it to identify which paint is which.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
I antifouled my sailing cruiser in May 2003 with International Micron Extra (3 coats) , which is supposed to last 2 seasons and left it on until last week. I keep her in a marina in Poole Harbour.It worked well and was no more fouled than other boats that were freshly antifouled in April. It had eroded away on some areas of the keel (I use a different colour each time so I can tell). With the cost of hauling out it was well worth the £200 it cost me for the Micron Extra.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dave_Knowles

Visit site
My experience certainly in the Beaulieu River is antifoul is a bit of a waste of time. When you weigh up the cost against the cost of having the boat cleaned off during the season (something most people with antifoul still seem to have to do) I suspect it is cheaper not to antifoul.

<hr width=100% size=1>Take care
Dave
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.theboatjumble.co.uk>Visit The Boat Jumble - Online</A>

malcp

Visit site
We have yet to haul out, but judging by looking at the waterline and rudder (favourite problem areas in the past) there is no weed and almost no slime which is unusual for this time of year for us. Not sure if it's the local conditions this year or maybe the a/f is better. Anyway intend soing the same next year.

A/F: Blakes Ocean Performer (White), 2 coats + 1 for w/l; applied March this year.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Based on mooring, Clyde. I usually use a cheapo (Cruiser, YM, Flagship or similar) but used International Micron this year (won it in PBO comp.) and very pleased. General slime, no trailing weed and NO barnacles (this is a first).

<hr width=100% size=1>Ken Johnson

nordic

Visit site
Wooden clinker Nordic Folkboat in Bangor marina, Northern Ireland year round with a lift out once a year to clean down and re-new. Coastal trip to Carlingford Lough this year where she was raced hard in Irish Sea FB Rally.

International Cruiser Uno used 2003 & 2004 with International Primocon primer where necessary. One coat only on main parts of hull with two on leading edges of bow and rudder and primed areas. Slime only on main surface of hull and a short beard of weed & ?animal growth on underside of keel (difficult to get at when on the hard) and trailing edge of rudder. Slightly harder contamination at water line. All washed off with power washer immediately on lifting out followed up with manual scrub with Scotchbrite pad & water.

Repeated August this year with two coats used as above plus water line & trailing edge of rudder.

<hr width=100% size=1>

No1_Moose

Visit site
Re: dulux

Bought some copper from Goodfellows for £38, mixed it up with a set amount of paint (can't remember how much now) and painted it.
I think it was interior paint but will check later.

No1_Moose

Visit site
Re: dulux

BTW I am blaming you for me wasting £38 on a load of copper because I quite literally have copper in my blood after that week!!!

Joe_Cole

Visit site
Yes it does work!

A few years ago I applied some "anti fouling" which turned out to be swimming pool paint! When the boat was hauled out it looked as if it was coated with a mucky brown shag pile carpet: it was several inches thick.

The paint manufacturer admitted the error and we came to an amicable arrangement, so it wouldn't be fair to name names.

We've had varying degrees of fouling each year since then, but never anything like that season.

<hr width=100% size=1>

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
Coppercoated Spring 2002, so she's on her third season of three to six months in the Med.water. It is good enough. The second year there was one barnacle but this year hundreds of imature little-uns. No problem as they more or less dropped off when touched. No weed but a slight slime all over which comes off easily. I would do it again on a boat I planned to keep for a decade or more. The material cost for a 30 foot spoon bottom, with osmosis protection, was about £500.

Hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: ah but

How many barnacles on your skin eh? How much green growth on your head? Or on your Dad, or fatipa, hm? NONE, matey poops, proving the positive effects of ripping your skin to bits with copper!

<hr width=100% size=1>