Antifoul was effective this season due to Chilli powder!

Visit site
Just thought I'd share my observations around my antifouling this year.

I thought I'd try adding Chilli powder to my anti-foul as I heard lots of people say it works so thought I'd try it for myself.

2012 season I used Hempel Cruising Performer Antifoul with no chilli powder and its fair to say the weed attached nicely and was prevalent at haul out. 2013 season same antifoul although I added 2 x large packets of chilli powder into the paint and the antifoul worked a treat just a light coating of slime when she came out. Same amount of sailing, same cruising ground around the Blackwater.

Just thought I'd share with everyone as I'm going to try again next season to see if it wasn't a one off.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Boats coming out at Fambridge were covered in a thick layer of mud. Little or no weed, just a layer of mud up to 1/2 inch thick. Though it was full of shrimps. It came off very easy and there were no barnacles or other things stuck to the hull where the mud had acreeted.

What is the situation at Burnham, Bradwell, Mersea Etc?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
This year's fouling seems to be a lot less than I remember in previous years (there was just a thin layer of slime when the boat had a quick lift out in September for an anode change). I suspect this might have something to do with that freezing cold weather we had back in March.

Edit - based on the Orwell

Mariner69

Visit site
At one London Boat Show at Excel, I mentioned the chilli idea to one of the paint manufacturers.

He said it was an urban myth, saying that since chilli powder was a cheap as **** didn't I think the paint manufacturers would include it in their paint if it worked?

Cantata

Visit site
This year's fouling seems to be a lot less than I remember in previous years (there was just a thin layer of slime when the boat had a quick lift out in September for an anode change). I suspect this might have something to do with that freezing cold weather we had back in March. Edit - based on the Orwell
And mine (barnacles) was worse than usual when I scrubbed off in July (having re-launched early April) - based in the mud, Oare Creek, Faversham. Also a lot of waterline weed by end October but light use of boat may have contributed to that. I think I might try the chilli powder next time.

Visit site
He said it was an urban myth, saying that since chilli powder was a cheap as **** didn't I think the paint manufacturers would include it in their paint if it worked?

He's got a point.

However, I'm going to try it again next season and if it works again I'll keep on doing it as chilli powder is as cheap as **** so why not give it a go? :)

nigelm

Visit site
Greek fishermen often add in half a cup of Roundup weedkilller, which contains Lindane. Not very environmentally friendly, but environmentally friendly antifouling is a bit of a contradiction in terms anyway.

Tried that last season , made absolutely no difference , changed to Seaqueen this season and boat came out clean apart from bit of slime , so it'll be the same for me next year ..

rudolph_hart

Visit site
Boats coming out at Fambridge were covered in a thick layer of mud. Little or no weed, just a layer of mud up to 1/2 inch thick. Though it was full of shrimps. It came off very easy and there were no barnacles or other things stuck to the hull where the mud had acreeted.

What is the situation at Burnham, Bradwell, Mersea Etc?

I'm at Mersea, and this year there was a lot less fouling when we hauled out a couple of weekends ago. I use Compass Cruising.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
Greek fishermen often add in half a cup of Roundup weedkilller, which contains Lindane. Not very environmentally friendly, but environmentally friendly antifouling is a bit of a contradiction in terms anyway.

Not Lindane, but Glyphosate - highly water soluble, so I'm surprised if it stays around long enough to make a difference!