antifoul problem

ocean princess

Visit site
hi i would like some idea how long antifoul shoud last as i have a problem with large areas comming off i only had i done in November last year but there are areas just above the water line where its come off it is on a princess 30 ft

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Some thing wrong with the application then, or maybe a mismatch to what was on before.

Looks like you'll have to take it all off again and start again.

Mines been on for the last 12 years, it's never fallen off, just another coat on top.

ocean princess

Visit site
hi thanks
but i had it done at marina having just purchased the boat before putting in water and its been in until now with large areas comming off do you think the marina are responsible for redoing antifoul plus cost of lifts
regards and thanks for responce

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
It depends on what was on there before they did it and did you have it all stripped back to the original GRP, had 2 coats of epoxy applied then the antifoul.

Any job re painting is only as good as the preparation underneath and no more, so if they just painted it on over the top of years of build up then id say there not responsible for your paint falling off.

ocean princess

Visit site
being new to boating asked the marina to antifoul the boat and did not ask any questions about how it would be done thinking that they would do a proper job the cost was £230 and the boat was already out of the water any thoughts would be helpful

JKay

Visit site
Hi Neighbour

I think you'll find that the 8" of solid ice where we moor may have removed some of the antifoul ,it has on mine ;)

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Ha So, maybe not as bad as we thought. The ice has maybe rubbed it off.

I'd try and keep cleaning the crud off till next winter. Then think again.

Sounds like your on a river, so fouling dont matter so much.

JKay

Visit site
hi J Kay what is the state of your antifoul where do you moor i would be interested to see how bad yours is thanks

I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm down there, I'm about 50 yds to your port

Did you go to your boat when the ice was there much?

JKay

Visit site
I think the more times your on and off your boat with the ice then the more antifoul is removed.It's a Fairline Carrera

gjgm

Visit site
hi i would like some idea how long antifoul shoud last as i have a problem with large areas comming off i only had i done in November last year but there are areas just above the water line where its come off it is on a princess 30 ft
Well, I guess it's taking the pesky marine growth with it. Given the frequency of threads asking how to remove a/f, I think you are onto a winner.

rafiki_

Visit site
£230 for the antifoul does not sound enough. When I bought Rafiki, I had the old a/f taken back, then prepared for new a/f. Total was about £600 if I remember. Last winter I applied another coat. This took a good day and a bit, so I think the price was about right, so I think for your £230 they just slapped another coat on the old one without any prep.