Antifoul or Epoxy

Stemar

Visit site
I have, perhaps foolishly considering the amount of work involved, decided to strip the old antifoul from Jazzcat's hulls, treat the half dozen or so blisters and give everything a coat or two of epoxy followed by a hard antifoul, since the stuff I put on last year has mostly gone and didn't have any noticeable effect, probably because I'm on a drying mooring.

Anyway, today I made a start. The various shades of blue and black are coming off easily enough, but the last coat, directly on the gelcoat is putting up a serious fight, so I'm wondering, is it antifoul or is it an epoxy coat? It's a fairly dark red, much the same shade as the old TBT antifoul.

What is the collective wisdom of the Forum?

fredrussell

Visit site
Can you put a bit of paint stripper on the mystery paint? If it’s antifoul it’ll bubble almost immediately but if it’s epoxy coat I would have thought it’ll be much slower to react. Only a suggestion- I’m thinking aloud really.

Boathook

Visit site
I have, perhaps foolishly considering the amount of work involved, decided to strip the old antifoul from Jazzcat's hulls, treat the half dozen or so blisters and give everything a coat or two of epoxy followed by a hard antifoul, since the stuff I put on last year has mostly gone and didn't have any noticeable effect, probably because I'm on a drying mooring.

Anyway, today I made a start. The various shades of blue and black are coming off easily enough, but the last coat, directly on the gelcoat is putting up a serious fight, so I'm wondering, is it antifoul or is it an epoxy coat? It's a fairly dark red, much the same shade as the old TBT antifoul.

What is the collective wisdom of the Forum?
If it is difficult to remove leave it. Sort out the blisters, prime the whole lot and antifoul. I do remember seeing years ago some hull treatment that was a dark colour.

Visit site
If leave it but maybe a test patch over winter and water it and let it freeze and see if anything falls off