antifoul conundrum

Alrob

Visit site
I have a question which I need some help with

hull has been re-antifouled due to last (first) years being stripped right back to gelcoat (long story ) but what do I do about untouched existing antifoul under the support pads holding the boat up, can I just give them a lick as the boat is being lifted back into water - which will probably mean paint is still wet when it gets to the water

we are only talking about 4 No 6" square pads and its cruiser uno I think

Bajansailor

Visit site
Are your support pads adjustable? If they are, just hijack a few more and put them in place alongside the ones you want to shift, and then unwind the ones taking the load.

But I guess they are not adjustable, and that your boat is sitting on supports that are all in a fair bit of compression, and hence cannot be shifted.

You could possibly use a jack and a support locally in way of each support so that you can shift it. Just make sure that what you are jacking against is solid, ie in way of a frame or bulkhead on the inside, and not on a large flat unsupported panel.

If you slap on a lick of paint just before the boat hits the water, I dont think it will be terribly effective.

discovery2

Visit site
When the boat is lifted for launching, paint the area with antifoul using a brush. Our boat is in the water within 5-10 minutes of applying the paint and there has never been a problem. Indeed, when lifted out the next year, it is impossible to see the area that was immersed with wet antifoul.

tcm

Visit site
you can do these at the last moment, tho you can force the last moment to be quite long : either ask for the crane/slings to hold the boat overnght (though with supports jammed under keel for safety) or if no good then perhaps do the same over a lunchtime.

Alrob

Visit site
yes I agree about not removing props stands - seems it will be a quick slap on when lifted

cheers guys

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
I usually can't be there when the boat is launched, so I've always left a bit of anti-foul and a brush next to the boat, and the marina staff paint the bits where the blocks have been before launching it