Antifoul colour

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
We have a dark blue hull, so wanted dark blue antifoul. We used Awlgrip and it looked fantastic till we put it in the water. It then changed colour to a much lighter blue.

Someone suggested that Seajet Shogun 033 might retain its colour better but I looked at a boat on the hard yesterday and there were light blue stripes running down it when the drains ran rainwater down.

Does anyone know of a good navy antifoul that retains its colour, or would I be better off with red or green or something?

Stork_III

Visit site
We have a dark blue hull, so wanted dark blue antifoul. We used Awlgrip and it looked fantastic till we put it in the water. It then changed colour to a much lighter blue.

Someone suggested that Seajet Shogun 033 might retain its colour better but I looked at a boat on the hard yesterday and there were light blue stripes running down it when the drains ran rainwater down.

Does anyone know of a good navy antifoul that retains its colour, or would I be better off with red or green or something?
I use Tiger Extra True Blue to match the blue on my HR. It stays fairly dark once immersed.

Martin_J

Visit site
Stork_III beat me to it and I would agree...

Blakes (now Hempel)... I have used both Tiger Extra and Cruising performer in their 'True Blue' colour. Both stay dark...

Martin_J

Visit site
Your profile does not appear to say where you are located.... If I knew you were nearby you could try some - I probably have an open tin... then you could see for yourself!
.... although thinking about it - my open tins might be souvenir blue. I sometimes alternate so I can see how much has been painted!

jwilson

Visit site

The attached photo http://www.marine-techniques.co.uk/images/yacht-aground.jpg shows Shogun 033 Navy after immersion, and after some muppet put her aground.... It looks darker when actually wet: ie whilst sailing

monkfish24

Visit site
I know your after the colour but I have been lead to believe that Red normally has a slightly higher copper content as they remove it from the other colours to allow the colour to come through. Wether this is true or not is something to ask the manufacturers but it sounds reasonable.

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Thanks to all.

I am not sure Blakes True Blue is dark enough. According to their colour chart here the Dark Blue looks more like it. Is that true?

As you can see from the attached picture, the hull is very dark. The antifoul is darker where it is wet, but quite light (a bit like the aground shot on a previous post) between the water line and the boot top. The problem I guess is that this area gets wet occasionally, but is dry when not sailing and the water is still.

Its this light blue stripe that I want to get rid of.

Last edited:

toon

Visit site
We've had the same problem. On our previous blue hulled boat we always had black antifoul. In Lefkas they deceided to use navy and the 3inches or so above the water line became a light blue - not nice. So we're going back to black paint.

benw

Visit site
We use international micron extra currently grey and previously dk blue (different boats).
I am deciding colours this yr - dk blue top side red boot top to match red cove line. I am considerring going black or red as the lighter colours reflect more light therefore attracting more green aquatic life. Is there a definitive answer to this and the notion that red anti foul contains more copper as suggested in previous post?

Whilst not really wishing to be vain the boat has got to look right - hasn't it? Any combos to avoid.....

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Your profile does not appear to say where you are located.... If I knew you were nearby you could try some - I probably have an open tin... then you could see for yourself!
.... although thinking about it - my open tins might be souvenir blue. I sometimes alternate so I can see how much has been painted!

Thanks for the offer, but we are in Falmouth. The problem seems to be the change after immersion. I was hoping someone would say they have a make that stays very dark.