Anti Slip Deck Paint. Kiwigrip

savageseadog

Visit site
There's a product called Kiwigrip which is described as a Vinyl paint/coating. Has anyone used it? Is there a cheapo substitute? I'm not keen on sand/grit type paints or additives.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, there is, and no it is not cheap - in fact the opposite. Claims are it lasts longer than other coatings and it can be textured to different levels of grip and pattern. Number of favourable reports on here in the past.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
We keep a simple 32 foot steel yacht in Wellington, NZ.

I used Kiwigrip 2 years ago in carefully positioned rectangular patches around the aft end of the boat-sidedecks, cockpit seats and just forward of the rigid doghouse.

It still performs perfectly, looks good and cleans easily.

First class product IMHO, and as it goes a long way, not too expensive. I chose the light grey.

West Coast

Visit site
Just had my old (24 years) teak decks removed and kiwigrip applied. Very pleased with the finish, part of the reason I chose kiwigrip was to have a finish similar to the textured finish elsewhere on the boat (Sadler starlight). Yes it's expensive, but it's a relatively smallish cost in the overall scheme of the total project cost. Time will tell re wear and toughness, but I did a lot of research before hand, all good feedback, and no bad reports that I found.

DaiB

Visit site
Did my decks three years ago with Kiwigrip, light brown colour to match up with the old treadmaster it was replacing. (done over 2 seasons). Still looks the same as the day it was applied, except for 2 small chips forward caused by dropping the anchor when I had it on deck. Barefooted dry grip is great, barefotted wet grip ok, deckshoes wet or dry great grip, can be sore on the knees when kneeling.

Kelpie

Visit site
Good to hear the feedback. I'm hoping to go this route myself, maybe this summer.
I would love flexiteak or similar, but at around £120/m2 I could do one square metre for the same as it will cost to do thr whole deck and coachroof in KiwiGrip!

richardh10

Visit site
I used it a couple of years ago on a previous boat, and was very pleased with the result. Preparation is important as with most paint jobs, but I thought it was worth every penny

richardbrennan

Visit site
I believe the original deck coating on my boat is Kiwigrip although It took me a while to discover this as it was not common when the boat was built 19 years ago. It has all the good properties already advised and has lasted extremely well, it's just beginning to get a bit thin in one or two small high wear areas.