Another old chestnut...

Birvidik_Bob

Currently bumming around the Eastern Med.
www.sailblogs.com
Namely health insurance for long term liveaboards.

After a recent scare we decided to look again into health insurance, despite drawing a blank on previous investigations. We thought we'd found the Holy Grail with Pantaenius's Mariner travel insurance which covers for trips up to 18 months. I took out a policy for this online.

However, when I tried to update the medical screening (I'd forgotten some minor additional conditions) I was told that further medical screening could not be done as I was not calling from the UK. Further investigation of the fine print revealed that we were ineligible for this policy as our trip would not begin in the UK (we are already in The Netherlands preparing the boat). This seems a very strange provision, even by the bizarre norms of insurance companies.

While the starting point of the trip would be difficult to prove (or disprove), I am loth to give any insurance company (even Pantaenius) a plausible excuse to refuse a claim and so am considering cancelling the policy (I have another week to do this). There's no point in laying out 500 quid if you don't get peace of mind from it.

Has anybody come across a policy that is actually suitable for the full time liveaboard and is free of obscure and irrational preconditions?

If so, I'd be glad to hear of it.

macd

Visit site
Further investigation of the fine print revealed that we were ineligible for this policy as our trip would not begin in the UK (we are already in The Netherlands preparing the boat). This seems a very strange provision, even by the bizarre norms of insurance companies.

Indeed. EU, open market and all that. Unfortunately "buying and selling insurance in the EU is governed by national contract laws", because such laws differ so markedly from state to state. No doubt that's why the *ankers get away with it, too.
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/contract/insurance/index_en.htm

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Namely health insurance for long term liveaboards.

After a recent scare we decided to look again into health insurance, despite drawing a blank on previous investigations. We thought we'd found the Holy Grail with Pantaenius's Mariner travel insurance which covers for trips up to 18 months. I took out a policy for this online.

However, when I tried to update the medical screening (I'd forgotten some minor additional conditions) I was told that further medical screening could not be done as I was not calling from the UK. Further investigation of the fine print revealed that we were ineligible for this policy as our trip would not begin in the UK (we are already in The Netherlands preparing the boat). This seems a very strange provision, even by the bizarre norms of insurance companies.

While the starting point of the trip would be difficult to prove (or disprove), I am loth to give any insurance company (even Pantaenius) a plausible excuse to refuse a claim and so am considering cancelling the policy (I have another week to do this). There's no point in laying out 500 quid if you don't get peace of mind from it.

Has anybody come across a policy that is actually suitable for the full time liveaboard and is free of obscure and irrational preconditions?

If so, I'd be glad to hear of it.

I sure you have looked into this and had long conversation with Pants , when I made inquiry with them I was told it was specially for live aboards , and it can run for as long as we wanted it too , I too was thinking of taken out this policy but if what you say or correct there isn't any point has we are already in the Med .

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Google Bluefin Insurance, it's part of/through Bishop Skinner, they do a worldwide policy, with no restriction as to what proportion of that time is in the USA; you can insure for periods up to twelve months and they don't require you to start it whilst in the UK; they also permit you to extend/renew the policy wherever you are in the world.
I am also able to confirm, that should you need to call on the policy, it does what it says on the tin; they were brilliant in arranging and covering all costs for flights back and forth between the Bahamas and the USA for treatment there and subsequently repatriating both myself and Lesley from the USA to our front door in the UK. The only restriction that might not make it work for some is that it's a medical and repatriation insurance; you MUST be able to provide a UK address which they can repatriate you to if needs be, it doesn't have to be your own house, but it's got to exist.

Richard10002

Visit site
Thanks to all. I'll follow up all the suggestions and have a heart to heart with Pants on Monday.

With boat insurance I have always found, (and others have confirmed), that they are usually willing to modify a policy to suit needs which differ from the standard. If it's the same with medical insurance, you should find them amenable when you speak to them. It would obviously be good to hear how you get on.

I never had to claim, but felt reassured by plenty of reports that Pants generally paid out, and organised things, in a very helpful way, rather than resisting.