Another new boat thread..

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
Abs, 41 /45 as a new or nearly new proposition with common rail D6 and DpH legs ( the ones with submerged steering rams ) are ok .
But a bit light weight compared to Rob,s Don Sheard Sunseeker short list ,which have a simpler shaft and none comman rail larger arguably more durable lower reving engines .
Ok fuel use will be more ,but bigger Engine rooms ,more DIY er able mechanics and a lot heavier for bashing CI wind against current chop etc .
Remember SS,s are built with trad hand layered mat /resin glassed in bulkheads ,no liners , cores in the hull , or modern lightweight techniques . Bits n pieces like guard rails cleats etc are all high quality .

So going fwds less likely to fall apart if bashed and easy to survey .
We have a Camargue 44 as a nieghbour ,on CAT,s looks fab with a blue hull .Sounds great in the marina .
Ok its no rocket ship -chugs around low to mid 20,s -buts its wearing well and design has stood the test of time easy simple boat to maintain .Great used buy these days .
Only issue was diesel bug last year buts that's not a modal specific thing .

It's just a case of looking ar a few - time /travel permitting ??

We looked at upgrading to a SS portofino 48 last year, but after the boat show & a look at the San Remo ( basicly the same boat, almost), decided Accommodation & domestic equipment was extremely poor in comparison with what we are used to, so staying with the abs brand & a 47. 41 hasn't fallen to bits yet :rolleyes:

Robg71

Visit site
Abs, 41 /45 as a new or nearly new proposition with common rail D6 and DpH legs ( the ones with submerged steering rams ) are ok .
But a bit light weight compared to Rob,s Don Sheard Sunseeker short list ,which have a simpler shaft and none comman rail larger arguably more durable lower reving engines .

I feel a stern drive 40+ fter is on the edge in the real world -torgue wise from 5.5 L .I mean add in a bit ,not a lot of fouling + Robs diving gear - the thing will struggle to plane .Better to go for something in the 10-15 L bracket -given a choice! And indifference to fuelling it of course .

Ok fuel use will be more ,but bigger Engine rooms ,more DIY er able mechanics and a lot heavier for bashing CI wind against current chop etc .
Remember SS,s are built with trad hand layered mat /resin glassed in bulkheads ,no liners , cores in the hull , or modern lightweight techniques . Bits n pieces like guard rails cleats etc are all high quality .

So going fwds less likely to fall apart if bashed and easy to survey .
We have a Camargue 44 as a nieghbour ,on CAT,s looks fab with a blue hull .Sounds great in the marina .
Ok its no rocket ship -chugs around low to mid 20,s -buts its wearing well and design has stood the test of time easy simple boat to maintain .Great used buy these days .
Only issue was diesel bug last year buts that's not a modal specific thing .

It's just a case of looking ar a few - time /travel permitting ??

I had discounted the portofinos, and the martiniques, as shaft drive...
I wouldn't even think twice at doing similar to my last one, and a damn good restoration of sorts. Although I'm looking at newer boats to start with.
I've also dropped anything with super.... Or hawk... In the name ��
Stunning.... Ballistic.... Etc etc etc..... Yes... Yes... Yes.... Practical... For me. Probably not.
As much as I love the thought of 60knots, it's probably not happening, accommodation more important
I have shed space now I can park one in and work on in my own time...

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
We looked at upgrading to a SS portofino 48 last year, but after the boat show & a look at the San Remo ( basicly the same boat, almost), decided Accommodation & domestic equipment was extremely poor in comparison with what we are used to:

Agree -fit out is not what it used to be these days .

I thought we were comparing Don Sheard 90, s early noughties stuff outlined in Rob,s short list .
Happy to stand corrected if newer P48 and v new SR 48 were on the list ,but those as a used proposition are surely @ completely different price point by several £100 K from what I understand was on the initial list put up by the OP ?

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com

I feel a stern drive 40+ fter is on the edge in the real world -torgue wise from 5.5 L .I mean add in a bit ,not a lot of fouling + Robs diving gear - the thing will struggle to plane .Better to go for something in the 10-15 L bracket -given a choice! And indifference to fuelling it of course .

Agree re stern drives as I am not a fan of anything over forty feet (12 meters) with stern drives. But that apart...
Absolute 41 and 45s are not cored below water line and use PVC above waterline.
Also Absolute is one of the better understanding companies of ISS (Integrated Structural System) since the team started this back in the 90s with the Gobbis.
In my book few builders understand ISS as good as Absolute, and one of them would be Tiara Yachts from the USA who started using ISS in the eighties.

I mean an Absolute 45 is 2-3 tons lighter to a 46 Portofino (some of this are the bigger engines on 46P) but I am sure the model does not show some of the weakness in non structural areas the S46P does.

Portofino

Visit site
Suspect a typo the -414.3 is ---- most Likley each side form a 7.2 L CAT. Rated from either 350 or 420 hp .
From memory they have a tender garage too ?
Popular here in the SoF ,still cut a fine dash .Has all the hall marks of an easy boat to live with ,and plan a budget around .

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Hi Rob,

Great to see you back on the forum. Thanks for the pm and sorry to hear news and also that you sold the 'Bergerac' Sunseeker :( Good to hear that things are getting back to normal work-wise however and that you're boat hunting. Another one also very much looking forward to an update on the 50 shades of steel... ;)

Best regards,

Robin

crossy

www.horizoncharterboats.co.uk
What are these like, portofino 400
I was surprised at its showing only 220hp per side, and I'm guessing has to be on v drive gearbox with the motors so far back...
Tail heavy maybe... Nice interior though.

http://clarkeandcarter.co.uk/boats-...msgate-united-kingdom-6219919/?print=1&full=1

Hi Rob,

I have a Portofino 400 and absolutely love it but as with everything it's a compromise.

It is a good sea keeping boat which cruises at 22-24 knots (mine tops out at 34 knots) and has masses of space for a 40' shaft drive boat. They are on V drives and with all that weight at the back they are a bit stern heavy. Having said that the trim tabs to a perfectly adequate job of keeping the bow down and the boat trimmed straight and level.

The only real downsides which I have observed is to do with the getting onto the boat when berthing alongside (I have a 30kg dog and it's a bit of a challenge to get across onto the bathing platform) and getting up onto the fore-deck can be a bit treacherous.

As said above, avoid the versions on stern drive as they are massively under powered with KAD 42's. The shaft drive variants came primarily with either 63P's (perfectly adequate) or CAT3126's (as mine has) which give the best balance imho.

If you have any questions then please feel free to ask away.

Good luck with the hunt,
Andrew

Last edited:

Robg71

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies ����
Andrew.... Does the 40 have a reasonable size lazarette, or storage garage.
Need some where to keep a tender and a couple of scuba bottles when not in use.
Next tender I have will buy a torqeedo, I'm not messing about with petrol. Having said that, as long as it's got enough grunt to make progress in some of the tide runs.

Got to say, so far I'm putting the Mustique at the top of my list. Size wise...

Of sunseekers back then in general..
Some had fully wood panelled interiors, and look stunning.
Others had cheap doors that warp (probably exactly like my old one had)
There is no accounting for taste.... Some hideous customer spec colours....
I need to get on and have a look on a c46. See if the aft cabin does it for me...
I did enjoy mine, so will see. These have a steep ladder as apposed to stairs on my old boat.

Last edited: