Another Lockie about to retire

TrueBlue

Visit site
Two down, and how many more to go?

Let's hope the vacancies are filled from within and that they are boater friendly.
Well of course they are!

I for one will be glad to welcome them when the season starts.

Sad to see two of the "old brigade" (perhaps I should have said the "long establised brigade") retire, but you can't hang on for ever.

Both of them have always been very helpful and friendly to me, and I and SWMBO will miss them. I'm sure they will enjoy their retirement.

Now "we" will have to train up the new incumbents, and beat them into our ways ;) ;)

(Fat chance of that!)

theguvnor

Visit site
Simon

I did a Summer Assistant job with him a few years back. He is very knowledgable and takes his responsibilities very seriouly.

He was passed over for a lock for far too long.

Nice bloke & dead easy to wind up !

( After he kept referring to me as "his assistant" I had a tee shirt printed that said "Senior Lock Inspector" - I think he nearly had a heart attack !! )

shades

Visit site
Grafton

Keith Webb has already worked his last day.
Mike at Goring leaves in August.
The old guard all seem to be heading for the exit.

ianc1200

Visit site
Last summer the lock keeper at Whitchurch said there were 5 remaining ex TC lock keepers; he did say who they were, but I'd assume most are going, which is a great pity.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Last summer the lock keeper at Whitchurch said there were 5 remaining ex TC lock keepers; he did say who they were, but I'd assume most are going, which is a great pity.

Sad, I agree, but given the inevitability of life something which is bound to happen. Given that the Thames Conservancy was pre 1973 that is now 38 years ago so hardly surprising there are few 'originals' left.

Nostalgia is ok but no need for despondency - fortunately there are new younger guys who still care about the river and are willing to take their place.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Keith Webb has already worked his last day.
Mike at Goring leaves in August.
The old guard all seem to be heading for the exit.

Coo'er - seems to be a flood (get out the Red boards).
Hopefully the voids will be replaced by folks still working their way up the slippery steps.

There are some very able folks "lower down the ranks" who are deserving and capable.

ianc1200

Visit site
Fond memories of Keith Webb at Grafton; after much struggling we got Straight Across under osney Bridge, and when we got to Grafton Keith (brother of Brian, ex Hurley lock) remembered SA from when we used to winter her at Duntons at Shepperton in the back field, and Keith had his boat there (& had it last time I was there at Grafton in the backwater). Later Keith used to get our kids to sit in his front room to watch his video's of otters, & on the return journey give them a copy of the video.

shades

Visit site
You are quite right Tony, you wise old buzzard.
I must have heard him wrong, he must have said "A week next Saturday".
He definitely mentioned the beginning of April and I'm pretty sure he would not have made a mistake!:cool:

captain tomas

Visit site
Yes, we can expect the old guard to gradually retire.
However a number of them are going early due their disaffection
with the current management.
No permanent lock staff have been appointed for many months and this will make a huge difference to the level of service which can be expected.
It has been confirmed by the E.A that summer assistants will not be engaged
this season.(of course a new Team leader/ manager has been permantly taken on)

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
It has been confirmed by the E.A that summer assistants will not be engaged this season.(of course a new Team leader/ manager has been permantly taken on)

Would be interested to know the source of that information. Less than a month ago in the 'Big Society' thread Teddington Lock said:

No , 'summer lock keepers' are being recruited seperately , and will be paid posts as far as i am aware.

Last edited: