Another Hurth HBW 100-2R Question

sailorman

Visit site
Thats the advantage of the PRM hydraulic box`s, they are designed to run either way

I ran my gearbox in astern mode for a while to save changing the L/H prop after an engine change , it developed a whine especially at low revs and was definitely overheating

so I would not recommend it, after changing to R/H prop and standard drive mode the noise has gone and no overheat problem.

Drew Robertson

Visit site
I have one of these attached to a Perkins 4108. We have had the boat for 18 months. When I changed the gearbox oil last year it was filled with the what look like engine oil, not the ATF that is recommended. There was a bit metallic debris in the old oil. It was flushed through and refilled with ATF.

Recently I was giving the engine a good run along side after fitting a new fuel filter system. At max throttle there was an occasional increase in RPM and a slightly screech from the gearbox, clearly the clutch slipping. The engagement from fwd to rev to neutral is smooth and precise.
I have not had a chance to try it flat out underway.

Is the stationery loading too great for the gearbox and it is slipping as a result, or is it the start of something more sinister?

Thanks in advance.
My HBW 100 gearbox also had a slipping clutch. Reverse seemed ok but it was slipping in forward gear particularly shortly after start up. I took a suggestion posted on another forum. I drained the fluid and replaced it with clean diesel. I ran the engine in forward gear for 3 min., reverse for 3 min. and then drained the diesel out and replaced it with new transmission fluid. It did the trick! I hadn't changed the gearbox fluid for a number of years and that was probably the issue.