Angle grinder questions

Lakesailor

Visit site
.....and really, don't be tempted to use a cutting disc without the guard on.

I've done it. I used to as a matter of course.

But the guard will stop the grinder spinning around the disc because.....

.........one day the disc will snatch in a cut (the metal may move, like when cutting angle iron) and the grinder will be wrenched from your hand, almost tearing your thumb off and will spriral up into the air (still running because it was one with a "latch-on" switch) and plummet to earth, hopefully not landing on you or a loved one, with the disc still spinning at 6000rpm.

I was that soldier......

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
The lowest speed is 3000rpm.

Pronounced with such impressive certainty. I generally think very highly of your contributions here, Vic, but kindly allow that I might know more about my tool chest than you do. 3000rpm at its slowest? Cobblers.

PS: just seen your response to Vyv's post, regarding the specific grinder from Lidl. Humble apologies for misconstrueing the context of what you said.

However (and no reference to Vic's remarks) I repeat that there is no reason at all not to use a grinder for polishing if the revs can be reduced adequately.

Last edited:

winsbury

Visit site
I have four tools in my box : small angle grinder, large ( in reality its a medium one if you were to compare it to the monsters the road menders use ) , a polishing machine and a buffer.

Grinders are great for cutting and grinding with appropriate discs and lots of personal protection - they can be lethal as bits not only fly off the discs but off the object being worked on too which also can get very hot indeed and sparks from metal working can cause fires.

The polishing machine looks very similar to the larger grinder but is offset by 90 degrees making it much easier to use for large flat areas ( gelcoat in particular with a lambswool bonnet and mild cutting compound comes up lovely )

The buffing machine was a complete waste of money - ( Halfords ) - it just about manages to buff a wax coat to a dull shine but is vastly underpowered to stop unskilled punters accidentally burning the paint/laquer on their cars.

The polishing machine has been worth every penny of the £80 or so it cost and Ive used it to do brightwork including bringing basic 316 steel to gleaming mirror polish as well as very fine work on paint and gel. There's no way the grinders would have the control to do this. They are however excellent at what they do and I wouldnt be without them - but - use the largest machine / disk you can - the efficiency is massively improved with larger disks and the work is done far faster. I use the small one only when its impossible to wield the big one due to space restrictions ( in the bilge for example .)

oldsaltoz

Visit site
I'm left wondering how the paint shop boys manage to use polishers at 1,800 RPM with cutting compound on a 9 inch foam pad?

The speed over the surface at the outer edge must be frightening, not for the faint hearted.

They do use a different machine for the final buff with the fluffy bonnet that a lot slower though.

Good luck and fair winds. :)

BERT T

Visit site
FIRE! FIRE!

The one thing you have all forgotten to mention is when cutting or grinding steel with an angle grinder make very sure the sparks are NOT HITTING the legs or any other part of your trousers. I've seen many a pair of trousers go on fire from this.

winsbury

Visit site
The one thing you have all forgotten to mention is when cutting or grinding steel with an angle grinder make very sure the sparks are NOT HITTING the legs or any other part of your trousers. I've seen many a pair of trousers go on fire from this.

er, I believe I did...

Grinders are great for cutting and grinding with appropriate discs and lots of personal protection - they can be lethal as bits not only fly off the discs but off the object being worked on too which also can get very hot indeed and sparks from metal working can cause fires.

ianabc

Visit site
building steel boat

At the beginning of my steel boat building project , at a local welding shop, I was shown by the foreman, terrible photos of cutting injuries all caused by grinders.

Very sobering

And very kind as I have been most careful with the tool since then.

Many caused by lack of attention to details, such as un plugging when changing cutter blades.

I had one cutting blade fail.

Niander

Visit site
Yes i forgot to mention they can set you alight
i did this during heavy engineering but then it was a "big" grinder
and when sparks are concentrated can set even overalls on fire and if i mention that the concentrated area was an area that is very dear to a mans heart!...
now that was a nice T shirt to own...

Visit site
.....and really, don't be tempted to use a cutting disc without the guard on.

I've done it. I used to as a matter of course.

But the guard will stop the grinder spinning around the disc because.....

.........one day the disc will snatch in a cut (the metal may move, like when cutting angle iron) and the grinder will be wrenched from your hand, almost tearing your thumb off and will spriral up into the air (still running because it was one with a "latch-on" switch) and plummet to earth, hopefully not landing on you or a loved one, with the disc still spinning at 6000rpm.

I was that soldier......

An old welder we had working for us on seagoing maintenance, used to take the guard off the grinders as a matter of course,12inch ones aswell:eek: when i pointed out to him the errors of his ways he told me he did it because it (the guard) got in the way, couldnt work out why, he was a terror to work with, constantly setting fire to things. i was his fire watch on some ships we worked on. he set himself onfire at least once a week from grinding stuff with oily overalls on, great bloke. celebrated his 65th birthday on a trip to Russia by setting fire to his mate, accidently of course.

Plevier

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I will try to source some thin cutting disks where the mfr mentions aluminium suitability.

Boo2

Do you know the Nut and Bolt Store (aka Namricks) on Portland Road in Hove?
They keep a range of grinding and cutting disks (at good prices, not silly B&Q level) including special thin ones for stainless. Might be worth calling to see if they do anything for ali. (They also keep a pretty useful range of stainless nuts and bolts.)
If a grinding or cutting disk is eccentric I would bin it immediately.

DownWest

Visit site
Long time ago, a mate worked with a sculptor. Used to cut ally castings up with an angle grinder. Lump of wax handy and dipped the disc into it before cutting. Stopped it clogging.
Never tried it myself, but he said it was easy.

Keith 66

Visit site
Of all my tools the angle grinders are the ones that i have had accidents with.
9" grinder with heavy sanding disc on, put it down on my leg just after i had let go the trigger, that went through overalls jeans etc like they were not there & gave me a nasty graze. Could have been worse!
Borrowed a 4" grinder from a friend because mine had blown up. it was a wreck with the wrong nuts on it but i thought "I onlyhave a little bit of grinding left to do", the disc burst at 10,000rpm. Quite exciting in the engine bay of a yacht. A big lump of the disc hit me in the face. Fortunately i was wearing a racal airstream respirator & the visor did its job. Expensive bit of kit but it paid for itself that day.

ffiill

Visit site
Run out-take the wheel off and check the drive washer underneath which is usually loose and lifts off the drive shaft.
I recently bought one of Wickes own brand (see my cheap Chinese thread).
The washer on mine seats on the shaft and is sopped from spinning loose by little more than a shallow squared of groove groove cut in the base of the washer perhaps 2 mm deep which mates with the squared off shaft about 8 mm.
All that really stops the whole thing moving is presseure on the plate caused by tightening the securing nut.
I do not like it one bit