Android tablets with GPS?

VicMallows

Visit site
Why is it so difficult to establish which Tablet computers have a true GPS receiver built in? (It is well established that ONLY the 3G versions of iPAD have true GPS because it is on the same chip).

Do ALL Samsung Galaxy Tab2/Tab3 have GPS? ... the specs seem to imply this but I am wary if it is not a 3G version?

Does anyone know of an 'unbranded' 10" tablet (eg EBAY) that does have GPS ? (I do have a £69 EBAY kit-kat wi-fi only tablet which is perfect in every other respect)

NickRobinson

Visit site
Writing in Banff, 430 nms into my trip using Memory Map on a 10' Motorola Xoom, (the one specifically mentioned on the Visit My Harbour site.
Mine's non 3g, I tether it for the net. 10 hr battery life and less than an amp to charge.

BTW, if a tablet says something like 'assisted GPS' it means it can use cells/wifi to help gat a fix, it should still work independently.

http://britainbyrivendell.weebly.com/

Spyro

Visit site
I think but can't confirm that all galaxy tabs have gps. My 8 inch samsung tab3 does not have 3g but has gps

halb

Visit site
+1
My Asus 101 Transformer and my Samsung Tab 3 both have true gps, if you are looking for a tablet with true gas, check the specs before purchasing.

Strathglass

Visit site
Both my Google Nexus 7 and 10 still give good gps tracking using navionics when offshore in the North Sea well out of mobile phone range.

zambant

Visit site
Check out Tesco hudl - on ebay Tesco outlet store for £60 inc postage and 12 month warranty
Just got one - love it. Not the fastest but real value for money with a gps receiver built in

VicMallows

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. It seems consensus is that Samsung and Nexus tablets DO have GPS. Just a pity that none of the £65 10inch tablets (which suit my requirement in all other respects) seem to have GPS. (Plenty of cheap 5" or even 7" phones which do, but too small for me).

I will investigate external GPS ..... but that's another story.

Strathglass

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. It seems consensus is that Samsung and Nexus tablets DO have GPS. Just a pity that none of the £65 10inch tablets (which suit my requirement in all other respects) seem to have GPS. (Plenty of cheap 5" or even 7" phones which do, but too small for me).

I will investigate external GPS ..... but that's another story.
I have tried using a GPS dongle on a laptop _ a real pain to use, wires everywhere. I now have the nexus 10 mounted on a hinged panel that swings out from above the chart table to just behind the perspex washboard. I also found that I have to use a pogo charging lead as the usb input on the 10 can not supply enough power to maintain full battery charge when maximum screen brightness is used.

Tintin

Visit site
My galaxy tabs, note 10.2 and note all have gps and I use navionics regularly on them. Great bits of kit. No 3g or 4g needed.

pappaecho

Visit site
Why is it so difficult to establish which Tablet computers have a true GPS receiver built in? (It is well established that ONLY the 3G versions of iPAD have true GPS because it is on the same chip).

Do ALL Samsung Galaxy Tab2/Tab3 have GPS? ... the specs seem to imply this but I am wary if it is not a 3G version?

Does anyone know of an 'unbranded' 10" tablet (eg EBAY) that does have GPS ? (I do have a £69 EBAY kit-kat wi-fi only tablet which is perfect in every other respect)

Be aware that most android tablets do not have preloaded maps. I was very impressed with my Google Nexus 7 in Eastern Turkey, which once it had a wifi signal loaded the map and was spot on, even in remote rural areas. So once map is loaded it can be used offline. Probably explains why the iPad need s a 3G signal, but Apple maps are not as good as Google anyway. I have a really cheap £60 andoid tablet which I used for email on board and as a MP3 player, which again works with Google maps when loaded. Results are OK but not as good as the Nexus.

VicMallows

Visit site
Be aware that most android tablets do not have preloaded maps......... So once map is loaded it can be used offline. .........Results are OK but not as good as the Nexus.

Yep: both Google Maps and Google Earth cache perfectly (and you can increase the default cache size if you have plenty of memory available).

I have no doubt that the Samsung / Nexus / and other major brands are excellent (and generally have better screens if watching movies is your thing). My issue is whether they are really worth 3x the price .....just for built-in GPS; especially when used in environments where damage is always a real possibility.

I have difficulty seeing why 2 tablets running the same software on the same hardware should perform differently as far as the actual processing is concerned.

Tintin

Visit site
I have no doubt that the Samsung / Nexus / and other major brands are excellent (and generally have better screens if watching movies is your thing). My issue is whether they are really worth 3x the price .....just for built-in GPS; especially when used in environments where damage is always a real possibility......

The thing is they are not 3x the price - e.g. Samsung Tab3, which I use as a backup - less than £100. One example below.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/samsung-ga...ARx1cuE2Qk7wq85oBN9tPIG060JaYb5XTgaAtql8P8HAQ