Anchoring in the med on a 29ft full keel yacht

Sblaton113

Visit site
Hi there,

has anyone spent long periods of time "on the hook" in the med in a yacht thats around 30ft? My girlfriend and I are buying a 29ft yacht with a full keel. It has 3830kg displacement and 1750gk ballast,

I'm wondering if we are going to be getting chucked about all over the place in a yacht like that

many thanks!

Richard10002

Visit site
You will be fine. I was on a 44ft Moody, but a couple I met in Sicily were on a 26ft yacht, and anchored for ages in lots of places over a 3 year period.

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
Whereabouts in the Med are you going? We're heading in this spring, and we've heard mixed reports from 'there's loads of anchorages' to 'everywhere's full of 100euro per night mooring balls'... If it is we'll probably turn around and go to the Azores for the summer.

Tranona

Visit site
Eesh. Maybe the Med needs a sailing version of iOverlander so people can keep up with where they can go.

There are more than enough guides and pilots to suss out what is possible and what is not. Just a matter of doing your homework before you go.

Just keeping an eye on this forum will give you a good idea as there are typically threads on just this subject at frequent and regular intervals.

Tranona

Visit site
Hi there,

has anyone spent long periods of time "on the hook" in the med in a yacht thats around 30ft? My girlfriend and I are buying a 29ft yacht with a full keel. It has 3830kg displacement and 1750gk ballast,

I'm wondering if we are going to be getting chucked about all over the place in a yacht like that

many thanks!

Not the ideal type of boat for the Med but will sit nicely at anchor while you endure the cramped accommodation and small cockpit! Not so good mooring stern to or in congested marinas though. If you are happy living in cramped spaces in the heat you will be OK, but suspect you will wish you had made a different choice of boat when you get there.

OldBawley

Visit site
Long keeled boats on shallow water anchorages have a problem with rolling. Deeper water, no prob.

We winter since some years on the Poros lake which is even in winter frequented by lots of fast ferry´s, day tripper boats and fast ploughing fisher boats. In summer loads of big mobo´s.

All of the boats make waves that have to push the keel over to pass. I anchor often with less than a meter under the keel, those passing waves have power. Roly-poly.

Modern fin keeled boats are like ping-pong balls, the wave lifts the boat., the fin keel is no obstacle.

Other problem is that modern boats anchor close and behave totally different as our old heavy submarine. They turn around and move in wind shifts, ours takes ages to move into the wind.
If there is current, the long keeled boat will lay on the current while the modern boats lay on the wind.

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
There are more than enough guides and pilots to suss out what is possible and what is not. Just a matter of doing your homework before you go.

Just keeping an eye on this forum will give you a good idea as there are typically threads on just this subject at frequent and regular intervals.

Ah ok, I was under the impression from a guy in the yard who came out last year that things change so quickly with anchoring / mooring balls that the guides are useless. Sounds like that's not your experience.

macd

Visit site
Ah ok, I was under the impression from a guy in the yard who came out last year that things change so quickly with anchoring / mooring balls that the guides are useless. Sounds like that's not your experience.

In much of the European/Turkish Med fixed moorings (other than on some quays and in marinas) as so rare there's little to change. I suspect your source was generalizing from a particular which, in a place as large and varied as the Med, isn't very helpful.

Tranona

Visit site

Suspect this is more about the western Med, particularly the Balearics or perhaps Croatia where either moorings or restrictions on anchoring are more common. Inevitably such things being temporary compared with marinas or town quays can change from time to time.

Finding that things have changed since a pilot or other publication was published is just part of cruising and nothing to get too worked up about. There is invariably a way round a problem.