Anchoring? Do we actually do it?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

We have a system where SWMBO handles the winch controls and I handle the boat from the flybridge. First to state the bleedin' obvious, you've got to do this facing the wind. When we're ready to up anchor, I nudge the throttles into gear for a couple of seconds to get the boat moving forwards; I then indicate to hear with a hand signal to start raising the chain. She then points in the direction that the chain is going from the bow. If, for example, the chain is coming up from the port side, she points in that direction and I use the engines to move the bow over to port. The whole idea is to try to keep the chain slack and coming up vertically from under the bow. SWMBO also knows'coz I've drummed it into her to stop winding in the chain when it becomes taut or else the winch trip switch might blow and thats bloody irritating when you're in the middle of weighing anchor.
I also have painted the chain at 5m intervals (I use snooker ball colours myself) so I can see from the flybridge when the anchor is close to the surface. SWMBO stops raising the chain when she can see the anchor just below the surface and signals for me to go astern. We do this to clean the anchor and turn it round the right way before finally raising it into the bow roller

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Now you mention it, the first time I test drove a Merc, I couldn't work out how to release the handbrake until the garage bloke showed me the foot pedal. Also, Saabs used to - do they still? - have that weird thing where you couldn't get the key out without the parking brake being on, or was that "park" on an auto box? Finally, I really don't much like these electronic handbrakes that there are now which are either on or off. Just my 2d, you understand. :D:D

Have you tried starting an Audi recently? I once sat in a car rental company car park trying to work it out for the best part of 30 mins. You have to have the gear lever in neutral, one foot on the brake pedal and the other pressing the clutch down but the engine still wont start unless you've jammed the clutch pedal right to the floor. Thats what happens when you allow Americans to drive

Kilter

Visit site
Have you tried starting an Audi recently? I once sat in a car rental company car park trying to work it out for the best part of 30 mins. You have to have the gear lever in neutral, one foot on the brake pedal and the other pressing the clutch down but the engine still wont start unless you've jammed the clutch pedal right to the floor. Thats what happens when you allow Americans to drive

Similar experience when I 'popped out' to move a friend's Jeep...got there eventually! :rolleyes:

Edit: often use the anchor but then I is mainly a wafi innit!

asteven221

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for there words of advice on anchor retrieval techniques.

PaulGooch - youv'e got my SWMBO well sussed.
HLB - I think you're right. It's must only be raggies that prevaricate over anchors, as there are few responses to that aspect of the OP. Actually that was meant to be my main point, before I started on my light hearted appeal for advice!
Robin - OMG do you really wear these? I think I would need to spray them black or something. LOL.

SO don't we mobo folks ever anchor then. Yes? No?

So if it's yes, how often and what kind of anchor is the best in your opinion to keep your pride & joy secured to the seabed, whilst you onboard having a nights sleep? Do you go all chain? Or chain and rope? Advise 1 to 3, 1 -5 or 1 to 5. What do you think is best - Rocna, Manson, CQR, Fortress, Delta, Bruce, Kobra, Brittany, Danforth, Fisherman?

I reckon if this was posted on the raggie forum the thread would go for many many pages over many days, whilst every claim provoked a counter claim. Much arguement and debate would raqge on... and on...and on.....

Why not in this forum/ Does that suggest mobo owners are:-

Not remotely interested in anchoring? Marinas only.
Too scared or too apprehensive to anchor?
Too scared to admit it and get help?
Only interested in marinas and pontoons?
Anchoring all the time and not interested in posting?
Just jumping over to read and post in the raggies forum?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
We are always anchoring, any anchor will do, we just dont make a big deal of it. Just drop it with plenty of chain, thats it. Second hand plough, a bit bent If you must know.

Dont do marinas if we can help it, but any old pontoon is handy for the dog.

gjgm

Visit site
Just sort of guessing, but motorboats have plenty of power, so they dont mince about with feeble anchors ? Lots of chain, lots of anchor, lots of powerful winch.
Maybe raggies have exhausted the batteries running the bow thruster for two minutes to get out of the marina.
Or is it powerboats arent going to mess about in some lousy anchorage if they can zoom off to a marina/round the bay, whereas raggies (at least imagine) that they will be braving it out like an old sea-dog?

sundancer9000

Visit site
anchors away

Forgive me for stating the obvious but on the boat i use a Merryfisher 925 FB this has an anchor electronic readout telling you how much chain is out and same when winding in? Are these devices exclusive? Its A brand called QUICK !

blueglass

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for there words of advice on anchor retrieval techniques.

PaulGooch - youv'e got my SWMBO well sussed.
HLB - I think you're right. It's must only be raggies that prevaricate over anchors, as there are few responses to that aspect of the OP. Actually that was meant to be my main point, before I started on my light hearted appeal for advice!
Robin - OMG do you really wear these? I think I would need to spray them black or something. LOL.

SO don't we mobo folks ever anchor then. Yes? No?

So if it's yes, how often and what kind of anchor is the best in your opinion to keep your pride & joy secured to the seabed, whilst you onboard having a nights sleep? Do you go all chain? Or chain and rope? Advise 1 to 3, 1 -5 or 1 to 5. What do you think is best - Rocna, Manson, CQR, Fortress, Delta, Bruce, Kobra, Brittany, Danforth, Fisherman?

I reckon if this was posted on the raggie forum the thread would go for many many pages over many days, whilst every claim provoked a counter claim. Much arguement and debate would raqge on... and on...and on.....

Why not in this forum/ Does that suggest mobo owners are:-

Not remotely interested in anchoring? Marinas only.
Too scared or too apprehensive to anchor?
Too scared to admit it and get help?
Only interested in marinas and pontoons?
Anchoring all the time and not interested in posting?
Just jumping over to read and post in the raggies forum?

Anchor all the time and everywhere. Its the very best thing about boating anywhere.
Hate marinas other than safe place to store the boat when NOT on board.
Out here in Greece its easy to say as there are hardly any marinas anyway. If you are not prepared to anchor you may as well not be here. We were the same back in the UK though and as I may have said before, If you don't use your anchor you are missing out on the greatest freedom that boating can provide and its free!
The basic skills are way easier than close quarter manouvering in tight marinas, so I can't understand why folks have an aversion.

jfm

Visit site
Forgive me for stating the obvious but on the boat i use a Merryfisher 925 FB this has an anchor electronic readout telling you how much chain is out and same when winding in? Are these devices exclusive? Its A brand called QUICK !

No not exclusive. Just not fitted as standard to many boats, and difficult to retrofit becuase of wiring run challenges). Also have bit of a reputation for unreliability, though that may be the actuality. I have Lewmar one on new boat (the first time I've had one) so I'll see how it goes.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Just sort of guessing, but motorboats have plenty of power, so they dont mince about with feeble anchors ? Lots of chain, lots of anchor, lots of powerful winch.
Maybe raggies have exhausted the batteries running the bow thruster for two minutes to get out of the marina.
Or is it powerboats arent going to mess about in some lousy anchorage if they can zoom off to a marina/round the bay, whereas raggies (at least imagine) that they will be braving it out like an old sea-dog?

Wot's a bowthruster when it's at home then? Does it do a similar job to a Mizzen sail, but use loads of paower & fuel?

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
No not exclusive. Just not fitted as standard to many boats, and difficult to retrofit becuase of wiring run challenges). Also have bit of a reputation for unreliability, though that may be the actuality. I have Lewmar one on new boat (the first time I've had one) so I'll see how it goes.

My MF 805 has one, fitted when built in 2003. Still works fine, but the magnet rots away every year or so (a magnet is set into a hole on the underside of the gypsy and passes over a reed switch ( or similar )). No big deal, off with the gypsy an epoxy a new one in, 15 minute job.

Last edited:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
We are using the anchor a lot more. It gives you a sense of achievement in much the same way as completing a long passage and getting to the right place in one piece.

Having the genny is perfect for when you at anchor, at times it's a bit surreal being able to live in the lap of luxury whilst anchored up in a seeming uncharted wilderness. For sure our most memorable nights on the boat have been at anchor.

The other thing of course is that you save a fair chunk of money. Used to offset increased fuel costs the savings anchoring brings make boating almost affordable again. In Poole for instance you can be saving £50 a night by anchoring off Brownsea Island and an early evening stroll through the middle of the Island is lovely. Lulworth Cove was another cracking evening last year. We even had a visit from the special forces on a night time training session :)

As for recovering the anchor I'm just use the winch and allow the boat to catch up so as not to strain things. Quick reactions at the end although you can mentally count the chain by picking off a spot and following it out for a metre / timing it. I keep meaning to get some form of marks on the chain.

Henry :)

oceandrive

www.oceandrivecharter.com
we stay out for days on anchor usualy because we cant get a berth or we have planned it that way. so that tenders can be used to go to certain bars or reastaurants in a vacinity. If you trust your weather forcasts staying out is what boating is all about. Saying all this we are in the Med so we are usualy tucked away in a bay or safe cala. where lines ashore are also used.