Anchor related

Howardnp

Visit site
I have a Birchwood TS33 Viceroy which I have been spending time on bringing upto date re electronics etc. Currently on the Severn but I intend moving it to South Coast come April....so anchoring isn't such a big issue at the moment.

However, it will be so I've now turned my attention to the windlass, chain etc.

Attached (hopefully) is a photo of the chain and how it goes around the windlass. The anchor itself hangs from the hawsepipe where it exits on the bows.
So the anchor chain comes up the hawsepipe, round the windlass and straight down into the anchor locker.

The question is how do I (safely and without losing fingers etc) get a line attached to the chain to take the load off the windlass when at anchor?

I have a feeling I may be looking at re doing the whole set up and having it go over bow rollers....however, over to your great minds....please!

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1

BruceK

Visit site
Is there some form of locking pin not already in that assembly. By its design it looks to preclude any chain lock or snubber use. I'd have thought OEM would have considered this. My understanding is locking the chain or windlass to protect the gears is the main concern. The windlass mounts can take anchor loads.

Otherwise the only way I can see this working is using a chain hook attached to the line following the chain down through the hawsepipe if there is clearance to do so.

Poignard

Visit site
This might work. Might!

When you have let out enough chain, attach a length of line to the chain between the windlass and the hawse pipe using a rolling hitch. Let out some more chain, say 2 or 3 metres, so that the chain carries the line with it down through the hawse pipe. Make fast the line to a cleat on the foredeck. Let out a little more chain so that the load is now taken by the line.

Whether this idea will work depends on the clearance between the chain and the hawse pipe being sufficient to allow the rolling hitch to pass through.

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;...hitch+knot&fr=sfp&fr2=sa-gp-uk.search&iscqry=

superheat6k

Visit site
I doubt the designer knew what a snubber was when he came up with that arrangement.

If the windlass failed you would have the devils job getting a decent hand hold on the chain to bring it up manually.

Could you lock the chain in the chain locker as the strain force would all be downward, otherwise detach the whole thing and bring it back about 300mm to provide access to the chain. A sacrificial wear piece of stainless might be needed where the chain drags over the corner of the hawse pipe.

BruceK

Visit site
Even if the designer didn't know what a snubber was surely he'd still have known about snatch forces on the windlass. It's such an obvious point and vital to saftey I find it difficult to believe it was overlooked. I would check thoroughly for some inbuilt locking mechanism. If not on the windlass through a locking pin or clutch torque setting then the chain locker might hold a chain lock.

Maybe a chain hook in the achor locker on a short line tethered to the eye of the U bolt used for the bitter end?

kashurst

Visit site
If you are only going to anchor for a few hours in calm waters, you might be better leaving it alone. However if you plan to overnight often etc then consider moving the windlass and putting a new bow roller on

Howardnp

Visit site
Thanks one and all and I'm afraid the conclusion I had come to was that of kashurst... but thought I'd try on here first..... called clutching at straws!!