Anchor off Brighton beach

Adetheheat

Visit site
Is it ok to anchor off Brighton beach - obviously with good conditions? Is it illegal?
They only rules I saw were that motorised boats weren't allowed within 200m of the beach.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Plenty of boats anchor some distance off, well outside swimming bouys, if the conditions are right. They are usually the big MOBOs on flat days. Not a place I would anchor for any length of time. My navionics shows one submarine cable just west of the West pier. Jet skiers might enjoy your presence.

Rum Run

Visit site
Plenty of boats anchor some distance off, well outside swimming bouys, if the conditions are right. They are usually the big MOBOs on flat days. Not a place I would anchor for any length of time. My navionics shows one submarine cable just west of the West pier. Jet skiers might enjoy your presence.
piat.gif
Just sayin'

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
March to October, don't run ashore in your tender, unless the motor is left on the mothership or you are in the little mobo channel.

I regularly drop the (lunch/fishing) hook there, outside of the buoys. It is fine if the wind is light or offshore. Do check your chart for the reefs etc though.

... and pack the Piat!

veshengro

Visit site
Be aware the beach area between the Western arm of the Marina and the first groyne West, the Banjo Groyne, is a dedicated Nudist bathing area. Just for info to avert any surprises, and in case you plan to anchor off on a fine day and have any thoughts of taking nippers ashore in the dinghy.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Be aware the beach area between the Western arm of the Marina and the first groyne West, the Banjo Groyne, is a dedicated Nudist bathing area. Just for info to avert any surprises, and in case you plan to anchor off on a fine day and have any thoughts of taking nippers ashore in the dinghy.
And it’s not a pretty sight. My advice is to stay clear even if you are adult, if you have any aesthetic sense at all.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
I'm not getting the Piat joke?!
The Projector, Infantry, Anti Personal-Water-Craft Mk I was a British man-portable anti-PWC weapon developed during the Second World War. The PIAT was designed in 1942 in response to the British Army's need for a more effective infantry anti-PWC weapon and entered service in 1943. Wikipedia
Action: Spigot mortar
Calibre: 83 mm (3.3 in)
Designed: 1942
In service: 1943–1950
Mass: 32 lb (15 kg)
Sights: Aperture sight

There are a lot of jet skis off Brighton. Likewise kite and wing foilers, but at least they only make a noise when they actually hit you or your anchor rode...

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I used to sail Darts and Hurricanes at Worthing. We used to be buzzed by jetskis when it was quiet, but when the sea breeze kicked in and the waves picked up, the boot was on the other foot😄