Anchor lighting

noelex

Visit site
Annex 1 9b ;)

(b) All-round lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts, top masts or structures within angular sectors of more than 6 degrees, except anchor light prescribed in Rule 30 which need not be placed at an impractical height above the hull.

Thanks for finding that.

I suggested in post# 59 that it was worth checking the anchor light complied with legal requirement for all round white lights of a maximum arc where they were obscured of 6°, but it seems anchor lights have an exemption.

RupertW

Visit site
I hope you're not suggesting they don't stay on all night or that they're not bright enough to meet the regs?:D I suspect most who use them turn in early and get up in daylight so never see just how useless they are.

Not so as you know. I’ve often been up before dawn and they are still lit and I can see them from a restaurant half a mile away. I’m sure though that I wouldn’t see them much past that but I’ve never yet seen a boat hit by somebody a mile away.

noelex

Visit site
The 2nm brightness requirement helps ensure the lights will still be noticed (at much closer distance) in situations such adverse weather conditions, against a background of street lights etc.

Rosie1963

ramblinginrosie.blogspot.co.uk
Im keen on paraffin anchor lights too. Mine is a Simpson Lawrence and has never blown out, ever. I’m not sure if it is the warmer colour, that they are normally hung lower in the fore-triangle, or that they flicker ever so slightly, but somehow it is an easier light to range in an anchorage.

Although in my neck of the woods, When anchoring off a sea defence or river wall and go for a shoreside walk to a local hostilely to return after dusk, a masthead light can be very useful!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Not so as you know. I’ve often been up before dawn and they are still lit and I can see them from a restaurant half a mile away. I’m sure though that I wouldn’t see them much past that but I’ve never yet seen a boat hit by somebody a mile away.

I know of a boat in Spain a few years ago which was hit whilst displaying garden lights, the owner was prosecuted and found to be at fault for not displaying correct lights.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
So no, I do not think that an all round white light at the masthead of a vessel of less than fifty metres in length is "fully compliant"

I think if you are going to take that mechanistic approach you need to have also a lower length limit. When I sailed (and anchored) a 16' 3" (less than 5m) cruiser, it used to amuse me to hear claims that a masthead light was far too high to see easily. Some others' 'deck' level anchor lights were higher than my masthead!

As I said earlier, my view is that 'where it can best be seen' will depend on the circumstances. To my mind that will include not only the size/shape of the boat, but also the type of location, presence/absence of background lights, weather, types of vessels likely to be approaching, etc.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I think if you are going to take that mechanistic approach you need to have also a lower length limit. When I sailed (and anchored) a 16' 3" (less than 5m) cruiser, it used to amuse me to hear claims that a masthead light was far too high to see easily. Some others' 'deck' level anchor lights were higher than my masthead!

As I said earlier, my view is that 'where it can best be seen' will depend on the circumstances. To my mind that will include not only the size/shape of the boat, but also the type of location, presence/absence of background lights, weather, types of vessels likely to be approaching, etc.

No disagreement. There is a lower length limit in the Rules; it’s seven metres, below which you are not required to show a light at all unless you are in a fairway. I just stopped quoting the detail.

Yes of course a Court will consider all the circumstances of the case.

GHA

Visit site
Sounds like maybe there are half decent ones then. Yet to see one. Maybe you could tell all the other eejets using garden lights which look like a couple of tired fireflys for a few hours after dark. Plenty of them around :rolleyes:

lw395

Visit site
My DIY LED anchor light has a few downward pointing LEDS, at close quarters that can be useful.

I wouldn't want anything solar powered, I've known the need to have anchor lights on in daytime fog.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Really?? Link?

I doubt there is a link, as is the case with most fines issued by authorities. The guy who told us about the incident knew the owner of the boat concerned, evidently the damage wasn't serious but the owner reported it on radio as the small fishing boat skipper wasn't interested in stopping. The police became involved and sided with the local fisherman, agreeing he wasn't lit properly.

As GHA mentioned in a previous post, these small boats often charge around at stupid speeds and my personal experience with the Portuguese police after an accident is that they're more likely to support the locals.