Analogue Raytheon radar problems

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Towards the end of last season the radar image on our Raytheon C80 plotter went to pot, as in the attached pics.

We've since had the C80 checked over by The Service Centre and, although there had been an (apparently) unrelated minor fault, it now seems OK after repair. The radar image remains the same, ie the scanner appears to be turning but the signal is unreadable on the C80 screen

I have checked the through-hull cabling; there has been no water ingress in that area and the joint between the cable from the radome and the cable to the MFD is bone dry in an area above the salooon headlining. The cable feels dry to the touch and the conductors show no sign of discolouration.

Any ideas? Water in the radome perhaps, or just old and knackered?

Attachments

• IMG_20220114_153000 (2).jpg
    IMG_20220114_153000 (2).jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220114_153049 (2).jpg
    IMG_20220114_153049 (2).jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

srm

Visit site
Have you tried adjusting the gain and clutter controls and looked at different ranges?
Try 3 mile range, turn sea clutter off and adjust gain so that it is just on the threshold where background noise shows as a light speckle. The set should then show any targets within range.
If the interference pattern persists the fault could be in the scanner but may be the radar signal processor in the display unit.
Open up the dome and check that the cable connections are all clean, dry and secure.

If that does not resolve the problem you need a technician who knows the equipment.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Thanks for the comments, folks. As well as having the C80 MFD checked over, I've done all the usual checks plus manual tuning/gain etc, but nothing untoward has shown up. However I have not yet opened the radome to check connections etc.

Once again, thanks for all the comments.

Skylark

Visit site
@Seir The only thing I’ve seen remotely similar to your pictures is a TV screen with a dodgy lead from the DVD player. The limit of my knowledge of electrickery is 1. Turn off and on again, and 2. Remove cables and plugs and apply Switch Cleaner. Quite remarkable just how helpful these two actions can be. Good luck.