An interesting read!!

kdf

Visit site
Initial reaction to this is that the skipper should have also been using the gps. Conditions were not great, vis was poor, they were tired. GPS is one of the tools of navigation and it probably would have shown up his error.

davel

Visit site
Like you say - interesting stuff and written in a most readable style.
Could be some good content here for YM et al.

Dave L.

bedouin

Visit site
Interesting reading - shows just how dangerous a trip to Cherbourg can be - if I were you I'ld go to St Vaast instead!

Actually it is very curious. To me not using the Depth Sounder was the greatest mistake - but a number of other contributory issues as well.

In contrast to the skipper in the report, I tend to rely more and more on the GPS as I get more tired

Visit site
Re: Marine Accident Investigations Branch

This is a welcome example of online officialdom!

I was expecting a bland and stodgy read, where only an insider from the department could spot the hidden message but I was wrong.

The reports are highly readable and I sense the folks at the MAIB really want to do a good job. They also have empathy for the small boat sailor and understand how things can slip out of control.

AndrewB

Visit site
Same here ... it has to be wrong?

It is all to easy when tired just to keep the boat driving towards the GPS waypoint and gloss over the crosschecks one would normally do. I confess I'm just as guilty.

Like everyone else, I found this a worthwhile read. Looks like someone in MAIB has been reading 'Heavy Weather Sailing' and is adopting a similar approach to accident reports.

MAIB's on-line reports on yachting accidents have been good value for quite a while. Its worth searching back through their archives.