An AMA with Pip Hare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip Hare

Visit site
Following on, how did you get involved with sailing and then sailing competitively?
I was
What do you consider needs to be done to encourage youngsters into sailing ?
The biggest thing is creating opportunity for young people to get afloat and I think once they get on the water it really hooks them. I am working with a new initiative to train young people in basic sailing skills and then go out to local yacht clubs and try to provide useful crew to people who maybe have boats but don't get out as much as they would like for lack of hands.

I was lucky enough to sail with my family when I was young - my grandfather had a wooden folk boat which we used to cram a family of six on to. When I reached my teens I was looking for sailing opportunities and started to volunteer for various different sailing programs which got me a lot of miles

Pip Hare

Visit site
When Medallia lost one of the hydrogenerators, meaning you had to save diesel reserves for power generation, how did you prepare food or did you exist on 'cold 'rations' for the remainder?
I used a jet boil to heat up water which uses a small gas canister so no problem there. The problem was making water but I would always make sure the water maker was running every time I used the engine to top up the batteries regardless of how full my water tank was so I never was concerned

sarabande

Visit site
The press in the UK made considerable emphasis on the "Women sailing" vs the "Men sailing" in the Vendée. In your view as a highly experienced competitor, will it be possible for long-distance sailing competitions to take place on an equal footing, or is it like tennnis where strength is a winning factor ?

(Yes, I know I am treading on dangerous ground...)

Pip Hare

Visit site
Hi Pip,

Thanks for taking part in this, I'm interested in your dietary regime on such a long time at sea....

Cheers
Clancy
Hi Clancy,
I worked with a nutritionist to get a balance diet at sea. I had limited facilities and the boat is weight sensitive so my 10 day rolling menu was made up of 2 or 3 freeze dried meals a day, two pouches of 'Long range fuel' which is a nut butter food rich in protein and fats, then dried fruit as a snack.

I had vitamins and collagen supplements and had a tin of sardines every 10th day!

Pip Hare

Visit site
The press in the UK made considerable emphasis on the "Women sailing" vs the "Men sailing" in the Vendée. In your view as a highly experienced competitor, will it be possible for long-distance sailing competitions to take place on an equal footing, or is it like tennnis where strength is a winning factor ?

(Yes, I know I am treading on dangerous ground...)
It's interesting because one of the main attractions of the Vendee for me is that we are already racing on equal terms. The press may have made a big thing about the women sailing but I just think that was because there was an unusual amount of us. But for us on the water we were on equal terms. I am very sure that none of my competitors viewed me as anything other than a fellow sailor.

The Vendee Globe is a real anomaly in the world of ocean racing - there really is no distinction by gender from a competitors point of view.

Pip Hare

Visit site
You replaced the rudder at sea. Congratulationsand well done.

What other major large/heavy spare parts did you carry?
The rudder was the biggest thing. Other than that I had spare battens for the mainsail which were stored on deck as they could not fit down below, I had pilot rams, tiller bars, a spare tiller, a spare water maker, lots of epoxy and carbon plate and carbon fibre, an emergency fore hatch cover and then lots and lots of little bits

Pip Hare

Visit site
Seeing your yacht as light as possible is important, (never noticed) do you carry an anchor and chain?
Yes as part of the rules we have to carry two anchors and chain and warps and all of the ground tackle has to weigh in at around 50kilos (I can't remember exactly) but it gets weighed and then sealed in place before each race

Pip Hare

Visit site
Heya Pip,

Preparation is massively important, but how do you handle the post-race return to normality? Is it tough to switch mindsets?
It's been really tough and I knew when I finished the race that I had to have a plan for what to do next. Luckily I got off the boat determined to make 2024 a reality so I have been really focussed on that since I got back. I will have a break once I know that campaign is up and running

Pip Hare

Visit site
How much did the pandemic affect your preparations? Was there ever any doubt that the Vendee would be able to go ahead?
The pandemic has been hard on all professional athletes but we were really lucky in that from the start of the first lock down the Vendee Globe organisers supported by the French government were really clear that the race would go ahead. As we did not depend on a full stadium to make it work the organisers were confident they could make it work.

preparations were hard and in 2020 I did not get to meet with or race against any of my competitors so I turned up to the event with no idea of who I should be bench marking against or how well we had done. I still have never spoken to some of my competitors and I am sorry about that

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Yes as part of the rules we have to carry two anchors and chain and warps and all of the ground tackle has to weigh in at around 50kilos (I can't remember exactly) but it gets weighed and then sealed in place before each race
Are you allowed to unseal the warps and use them to trail ad 'drogues/sea anchors in heavy weather, or do you have to carry separate wraps 'drogues/sea anchor(s) for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.