Am I just being a tad unreasonable , when ?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Am I being a tad unreasonable , when expecting Outboard Sellers to give the essential basic facts about an Outboard , without having to scan nearly all the bloody Outboards being advertised for sale ?

For instance , an Outboard being either Remote Steering or Tiller steering is a most important fact , its so basic that the buyer will surely know what type they need ? so why then is it ssential to read through all the sellers advert blurb to find out which type ?

Factors like Shaft Length are oft stated , but only in the idiom of Short , Medium Short , medium , RNLI length , Long Shaft , Extra long Shaft

One can alter the Transom sometimes to accomodate various Shaft Lengths , but to alter a Tiller to Remote is quite expensive , if at all possible ?

So its imperitive that the Steering method is stated at the outset , as Tiller , Remote , in my humbl;e opinion , so why are Sellers reluctant to state it , ? URG

Tranona

Visit site
Am I being a tad unreasonable , when expecting Outboard Sellers to give the essential basic facts about an Outboard , without having to scan nearly all the bloody Outboards being advertised for sale ?

For instance , an Outboard being either Remote Steering or Tiller steering is a most important fact , its so basic that the buyer will surely know what type they need ? so why then is it ssential to read through all the sellers advert blurb to find out which type ?

Factors like Shaft Length are oft stated , but only in the idiom of Short , Medium Short , medium , RNLI length , Long Shaft , Extra long Shaft

One can alter the Transom sometimes to accomodate various Shaft Lengths , but to alter a Tiller to Remote is quite expensive , if at all possible ?

So its imperitive that the Steering method is stated at the outset , as Tiller , Remote , in my humbl;e opinion , so why are Sellers reluctant to state it , ? URG
Yes, you are being unreasonable ranting on about something without giving anything specific.

Who are these sellers? private individuals, dealers, manufacturers?

Of course buyers should ensure that what is on offer is suitable for their needs and sellers should give as much truthful information as they can when the offer something for sale. However it is an imperfect world and you can't force people, particularly private sellers to provide specific information. If they don't provide enough information for a potential buyer to express an interest it is their loss.

jonbclarke

Visit site
I think there is a presumption that people will assume a particular default based on the HP - for example if it's a 3.5hp then most people would assume a tiller, whereas if it's a 250hp V8 then most people will assume remotes (although Mercury at least will sell you a tiller option up to 300HP if you've got a death wish - Tiller 300HP - YouTube )

Clearly there is a mid-range of 20-60hp stuff where it could be either/or so would expect those advertisers to generally specify it by default.

Also most listings come with a photo of the outboard being sold so would hope they picture the relevant model although not always the case...

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Yes, you are being unreasonable ranting on about something without giving anything specific.

Who are these sellers? private individuals, dealers, manufacturers?

Of course buyers should ensure that what is on offer is suitable for their needs and sellers should give as much truthful information as they can when the offer something for sale. However it is an imperfect world and you can't force people, particularly private sellers to provide specific information. If they don't provide enough information for a potential buyer to express an interest it is their loss.

Well I have been looking for a replacement OB in the 20hp range with remotes , but after looking at many Sellers they seem to not list their outboards by Type of steering , either Shaft Length or HP , so it taken me ages to look at these OB for sale listings , as each and every type of OB is usually just lumped all together in listings

I understand that Boating and Brokers have usually been 'out of touch' when entering this sales area , but I think that listing one's products sensibily is just a necessity to good business .

I gave one very large used OB Seller 1 out f 10 in personal report , they were not amused , but could not understand why my 1 out of 10 conflicted with the usual 9 of of 10

Tranona

Visit site
Well I have been looking for a replacement OB in the 20hp range with remotes , but after looking at many Sellers they seem to not list their outboards by Type of steering , either Shaft Length or HP , so it taken me ages to look at these OB for sale listings , as each and every type of OB is usually just lumped all together in listings

I understand that Boating and Brokers have usually been 'out of touch' when entering this sales area , but I think that listing one's products sensibily is just a necessity to good business .

I gave one very large used OB Seller 1 out f 10 in personal report , they were not amused , but could not understand why my 1 out of 10 conflicted with the usual 9 of of 10
It was more the way you tried to explain your issue. Now you have explained that it is dealers it makes more sense. Yes, of course it is helpful to provide as much information as is relevant and useful to buyers, but surely a phone call to check what sort of steering it has is not too onerous? You can't compel sellers to give specific details so presumably they list such information as they think relevant to attract enquiries.

fredrussell

Visit site
If you’re searching on Ebay etc it could be the sellers don’t know the specifics because they nicked them.
Very much a sign of the times that. When I were a lad people took pride in their thieving and treated the punter in the Dog and Duck car park to a full run down of special features and, say, where not to be seen with the purloined item.
Thieves these days just bung it straight on eBay and expect you to do all the research. Lazy.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
It was more the way you tried to explain your issue. Now you have explained that it is dealers it makes more sense. Yes, of course it is helpful to provide as much information as is relevant and useful to buyers, but surely a phone call to check what sort of steering it has is not too onerous? You can't compel sellers to give specific details so presumably they list such information as they think relevant to attract enquiries.

Yes but I do most of my Online Searching in the evenings , so cannotmake Tel calls to Businesses then . I still think that I will choose to do my Business with Companies that come across as Proffeshional , understand Boating , that includes stating Items for sale , like OB with the necessary information ,that a prospective Buyer needs : IT show a good degree of understanding , by me ,

ylop

Visit site
Serious businesses often quote the model number, which serious buyers can translate to exact shaft length, remote, electric start and other options.

I’d expect any credible second hand seller to include enough pictures that remote v tiller was obvious and probably long v short shaft.