Am I getting old?

Sybarite

Visit site
Idyllic weather in Southern Brittany this 4 day Ascension weekend : temperatures in the 80's, light winds, warm water and white sandy beaches on Groix where I was with my (nearly) 5 year old daughter. So why do I come back with a feeling of annoyance.

I think that it was that I saw more examples of bad manners/seamanship crammed into that weekend than I have in the 13 years of sailing in S. Brittany. I have always praised the local sailors because I think that they are in general good sailors in all senses of the term.

1) However it started at the fuel berth. As I was leaving a single-hander was coming in preparing his fenders. At about 25 metres off, a RIB powered its way past him (with an enormous wake) to take the place just in front of him. This yellow RIB registered at Le Guilvenec later was cruising up and down the beach at Groix about 15 metres of the shore - there were bathers. He had a big pad on the front like the RIBs which manouvre the multihulls into place.

2) I was rafted up with a friend at anchor when another RIB went past us about 5 metres off at just sub-planing speed where the wake is greatest. The young daughter of the family had been given the helm.

3) Twice refused right of way. The first time when I was sailing close-hauled and somebody was trolling under motor and from about 50 m off kept watching me being on a converging course. He motored about 10 m in front of me and then shouted at me to keep clear of his line. Another guy sitting on the cabin roof with his back to me motoring again on a converging course. I was motoring with the mainsail up and approaching him from his starboard side. When it was clear that he was not going to look around him I hailed him. He shouted back that I could not claim right of way because I was motoring !

Frequent other RIB passing at speed between moored boats and a large increase in the number of jet skis but they were well off so no specific complaint other then the high-pitched noise.

Incidentally heard Portland radio loud and clear while anchored at Groix.

A great increase in the number of RIBs and motor boats which if they have passed their "permis mer" were obviously absent the days that boating etiquette was being taught.

Am I developing into an old grouch? Probably.

John

P.S. the good news - a plateload of boiled spider crabs and mayonnaise left anonymously in my cockpit one evening.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Nothing changes

>the good news - a plateload of boiled spider crabs and mayonnaise left anonymously in my cockpit one evening.<

Go to France, catch a dose of crabs.

Boot on other foot time - motoring back up Hamble yesterday. Overtaken by a racing yacht (Jazz, I think, 45' feet or so). As soon as he's past he pulls in front of us and slows right down, waiting for a space on the fuel pontoon. If Madame hadn't been alert (more than I was after a night in the Folly), we'd have hit him just betwixt rudder and backstay. Still, at least one of the more sensitive members of the crew apologised.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

burgundyben

Visit site
I inadvertently queue jumped at the Warsash fuel jetty on saturday, when I realised I hailed the yacht and offered for them to come alongside and use the hose before me to make up for having barged in front, by then there was another space so I went and helped with his lines then apologised, see, even in the solent there is still good manners, plus I think the raggie/stinky war is none existant.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

Gunfleet

Visit site
I always wave at motorboaters, I'm never rude about them, always cheery to them. It plays with their minds. You can see them, eyeing me, wondering when am I going to start raving about rights of way. I never do. Sailing is supposed to be fun.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
The only time I don't wave to motorboaters is when I need both hands to hang on as their wake approaches. I may be wrong but there do seem to be more polite people in the Solent these days. I had several vessels under power slow down as they passed us (trying to sail in a F1) on Sunday morning. Mind you, one bugger nearly rammed us from astern because we were motoring slower than him up Emsworth creek, (sailing boat under power) although he did take avoiding action in the end. And they all smiled and waved.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rabbie

Visit site
My nasty experience of last Saturday is posted in Motor Boat Chat forum under 'Were you the Prat?'. Please have a look at interesting replies.
Rab.

<hr width=100% size=1>I believe we should all pay our mooring fees with a smile. I tried — but they wanted cash.