Aluminium Corrosion - Commercial Available Remedy

upthesolent

Home Torrevieja, but currently Truck in Week. 4 F
Visit site
I have aluminium surrounds to my windows which, considering my boat is 28 years old are in very good condition. However, in a couple of places they are corroding (swelling and becoming powdery) which in turn is lifting the hard-wood veneer coving them.

Can I buy a product that when applied to the affected areas will check the corrosion and perhaps as well, form a protecting coating at the same time?

VicS

Visit site
If this is somewhere that does not show because it is covered with a wooden veneer I would be tempted to remove the wood, clean off all the corrosion and then paint with zinc chromate primer before replacing the wood. Not guaranteeing that it will work but thats what I'd try.

Chrissie

Visit site
a product called Mast Care from Blakes or owlatrol (sorry for misspelling) both are sylicon free light oils which will penetrate the allumilium, clean and protect it. Incidently, Johnsons babyoil is also sylicon free lightoil and much cheaper.

johnalison

Visit site
because you can't paint over silicon without extensive work to remove the silicon, should it ever be necessary.