Alternator repairer in Chichester to Portsmouth area.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I used to use one in Southbourne (15 years ago) but I cannot find them on line.

Could someone let me know the name of a competent repairer - not one of the many parts suppliers who say they repair alternators!

As a note, the alternator only give 13 volts - which I presume means it has partially failed diodes? I want to get a field wire added to support a Sterling alternator charger.

Modern alternators see to give out a much higher voltage - up to 14.8 on my car. Are they clever enough to go into float mode (13.8v) when the battery is charged. If not, I am not certain I like the idea of an uncontrolled alternator!

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
I use One Degree West in Southsea Marina, and they recently sent my starter motor away for a repair to a local guy. It would be worth a call to see who they use or recommend or if they don’t want to tell you (may be trade only) they could organise it for you.

Stemar

Visit site
When mine was giving me grief, I went to:

Just Alternators and Starter Motors
Mistral Farm, Brook Ln,
Botley, Southampton SO30 2ER

A bit further west than you're looking for, but the proverbial little guy in a scruffy shed who's probably forgotten more about alternators and starters than I'll ever know.

TernVI

Visit site

Could someone let me know the name of a competent repairer - not one of the many parts suppliers who say they repair alternators!

As a note, the alternator only give 13 volts - which I presume means it has partially failed diodes? I want to get a field wire added to support a Sterling alternator charger.

Modern alternators see to give out a much higher voltage - up to 14.8 on my car. Are they clever enough to go into float mode (13.8v) when the battery is charged. If not, I am not certain I like the idea of an uncontrolled alternator!
If you want proper benefit from the Sterling controller, you might want to look at the spec of the alternator you have.
Many boat engines are sold with alternators which are not capable of high currents at low RPM, however much you mess with the regulation. Many car alternators of what I might call the 90s era can chuck out 80% of their rated current at tickover or a little more.
These can work really well with an external controller, like the Sterling.

What I might call 'current era' car alternators often have the regulation done externally by the ECU, adjusting the charge according to whether your accelerating or braking and generally monitoring the battery current. This includes, but is not only, 'stop start cars'.

I don't know any alternator repairers in the area, my local 'fix anything garage' tells me it's just easier and cheaper to get a recon or new unit. They don't want cars hanging around immobile for a couple of days while things like that are mended. The 'classic' vehicle trade might help though.

Stoshak

Visit site
Power Components, Old Dairy Workshops, Whitechimney Row, Westbourne, Emsworth PO10 8SD. Quick, reliable, and reasonable prices. Used by most local garages and most of the local Fishing fleet.
Yes, what he says, the folks at Westbourne. Excellent!

Barbican

Visit site

Was that Superstart? Not sure if they are still going 01243 379865 ..

Chris_Robb

Visit site
If you want proper benefit from the Sterling controller, you might want to look at the spec of the alternator you have.
Many boat engines are sold with alternators which are not capable of high currents at low RPM, however much you mess with the regulation. Many car alternators of what I might call the 90s era can chuck out 80% of their rated current at tickover or a little more.
These can work really well with an external controller, like the Sterling.

What I might call 'current era' car alternators often have the regulation done externally by the ECU, adjusting the charge according to whether your accelerating or braking and generally monitoring the battery current. This includes, but is not only, 'stop start cars'.

I don't know any alternator repairers in the area, my local 'fix anything garage' tells me it's just easier and cheaper to get a recon or new unit. They don't want cars hanging around immobile for a couple of days while things like that are mended. The 'classic' vehicle trade might help though.
Tern - this boat is 1990, so I expect its one of those alternators I understand! I have never understood how one of the new ones rated at 14.4 drop their voltage when floating - so does it then cook the batteries?

I wanted to get this one repaired as its one of the old fashioned variety!

Sea-Fever

Visit site
When mine was giving me grief, I went to:

Just Alternators and Starter Motors
Mistral Farm, Brook Ln,
Botley, Southampton SO30 2ER

A bit further west than you're looking for, but the proverbial little guy in a scruffy shed who's probably forgotten more about alternators and starters than I'll ever know.

Just to give a bit of balance, not a great service experienced from here I'm afraid.

TernVI

Visit site
Tern - this boat is 1990, so I expect its one of those alternators I understand! I have never understood how one of the new ones rated at 14.4 drop their voltage when floating - so does it then cook the batteries?

I wanted to get this one repaired as its one of the old fashioned variety!
Simple car alternators do not switch down to a float voltage.
Very few cars run enough hours a week for it to matter.
However in the early years of this century, some people in the trade reckoned overcharging was becoming the most common cause of early car battery failure. Notable in things like taxis.

pvb

Visit site

Ordinary modern automotive alternators don't go into float mode. You say you want to add a Sterling alternator regulator - this won't go into float mode either unless you disable the alternator's internal regulator.