alternator conversion to BMW D7

G

Hi can any one help with sketch and details of how to convert BMW D7 to drive an alternator to charge battery thanks

G

Hi there,

I have a D12 which I converted. There are basically 2 ways of doing it. One is to put the biggest pulley you can find on the end of the cam shaft (until it nearly touches the water pump) and the smallest pulley you can find on the alternator (about 25mm). It's not ideal because the cam only turns at 1/4 engine speed and not 1/2 as in most engines. This is the route I opted for and I have some photos of the conversion. E-mail me if you're interested.

The other way is to put a pulley on the back of the flywheel and lead the belt out through a slot in the bellhousing. This is more involved but has better potential for charging. I know someone who has done this and will try to find out his e-mail laddress.

Good luck,

G

Renault did a conversion for this kind of engine *couche* it was called .. involved running a puklley off the water pump spigot ... fitting another water pump ..........I have just replaced the alternator inside my D12 easy enough once you get the flywheel off. But as a back-up I have fitted a pulley to the shaft ... it works quite well mainly because my gearbox is 1.8 - 1 ...

G

Renault did a conversion for this kind of engine *couche* it was called .. involved running a pulley off the water pump spigot ... fitting another water pump ..........I have just replaced the alternator inside my D12 easy enough once you get the flywheel off. But as a back-up I have fitted a pulley to the shaft ... it works quite well mainly because my gearbox is 1.8 - 1 ...