Alternator Adjuster

www.bavariayacht.info
I'm also concerned about the use of track rod ends. Correct me if I'm wrong but the track rod ends have a swivel mount.
I would be concerned that once the belt was tightened up the alternator would twist around. A regular bottle screw would restrict this twisting motion better.
I don't think this could happen, but I'm putting an indent in each spacer to restrict the swivelling action. Had a problem with my lathe, so I'll post pictures in the next day or so. New alternator has arrived, shiny!

www.bavariayacht.info
I don't think this could happen, but I'm putting an indent in each spacer to restrict the swivelling action. Had a problem with my lathe, so I'll post pictures in the next day or so. New alternator has arrived, shiny!

Some of these bushings are just to convert from 1/2" to M12, some to make an M12 screw thread a bit tighter in a reamed 12mm hole (aluminium drink can, 0.1mm). There are two bushings for the green bracket, one with an offset centre:
Alternator-Adjuster-amp-Spacers-001_zpsuhr9i5sp.png~original

Adjusters and spacer washers, plus an insert of the bracket:
Alternator-Adjuster-amp-Spacers-002_zpskntpmidk.png~original

The first spacer in situ (this one is mild steel, not stainless):
Alternator-Adjuster-amp-Spacers-003_zpshjwy9jm6.png~original

The final arrangement:
Alternator-Adjuster-amp-Spacers-017_zpsnqujff4i.png~original

Alternator-Adjuster-amp-Spacers-018_zpsjic75kif.png~original

The adjustment range is quite small, but this is compensated for by having a selection of turnbuckle centres. Once I find the right one, I'll just keep that, and the next size up. The track-rod ends are clamped by the spacers onto the ball, so are free to rotate around it. However, the swivelling is restricted by ridge on the spacers. I gave up trying to make a rounded indentation on the stainless steel spacers, my lathe was not happy; I just did two steps at about 0.75mm and 1.5mm. The final depth was adjusted on a belt sander during fitting.

Note to PBO staff, if you want to use this in the magazine, please contact me. Note that the images are not hosted on your site!

Last edited: