Alternative fabric to Sunbrella

Luki-lusaki

Visit site
Help. I need to replace my Sunbrella Bimini and awning. Despite what Sunbrella advertise, the reason for replacement is that it is covered in mould with small holes starting to appear. I have never managed to clean this off, despite following manufacturer's instructions. Does anyone know of an alternative brand which will stand the sun of the Med? I would not buy this brand again, and it is very expensive. I live in Italy. Thank you.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have had two hoods, a bimini and a cockpit cover in the Mediterranean, all four shrunk in the sun and could no longer be made to fit. At least some and possibly all were in Sunbrella. The maker suggested a switch to Weathermax WM80. We had a bimini and hood made in this but have not had them long enough for a complete comparison. However their dimensions look to be unchanged so far.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Hello,
I made all my canvaswork (bimini, sprayhood, lazy bag, etc etc) with Sauleda fabric, during 2009 I happened to be in Spain and as it was readily available everywhere I gave it a try: very very happy, a real surprise. The bimini spent 4 years under tropical sun and 15 years later still goes strong, the colour is not faded and a spray of fabric waterproofing agent once every 2-3 years keeps it waterproof. I had to re-stitch it 2-3 times during its life as the thread did not cope with that much sunlight.
They have two very similar fabrics: one is slightly stiffer, the other one slightly softer, both have the same technical characteristics, I prefer the stiffer one for the bimini and sprayhood because it can be tightened over the steel structure and becomes like a drum; for the lazy bag I used the softer one.
Cost about 15/20e, width is 120cm so narrower than Sunbrella, available online.

Also, for some time in Italy one could find a fabric named "Sumbrella" (sic), really not sure how it compared to real Sunbrella.

Luki-lusaki

Visit site
I have had two hoods, a bimini and a cockpit cover in the Mediterranean, all four shrunk in the sun and could no longer be made to fit. At least some and possibly all were in Sunbrella. The maker suggested a switch to Weathermax WM80. We had a bimini and hood made in this but have not had them long enough for a complete comparison. However their dimensions look to be unchanged so far.
Thanks for your reply. I will check out WM80. Very disappointed with Sunbrella. I have tried for several years to get it clean, without success. I constantly repair it. My spray hood and Bimini has not shrunk - due to the wind it has stretched. A good job I know my way round a sewing machine.

Luki-lusaki

Visit site
Hello,
I made all my canvaswork (bimini, sprayhood, lazy bag, etc etc) with Sauleda fabric, during 2009 I happened to be in Spain and as it was readily available everywhere I gave it a try: very very happy, a real surprise. The bimini spent 4 years under tropical sun and 15 years later still goes strong, the colour is not faded and a spray of fabric waterproofing agent once every 2-3 years keeps it waterproof. I had to re-stitch it 2-3 times during its life as the thread did not cope with that much sunlight.
They have two very similar fabrics: one is slightly stiffer, the other one slightly softer, both have the same technical characteristics, I prefer the stiffer one for the bimini and sprayhood because it can be tightened over the steel structure and becomes like a drum; for the lazy bag I used the softer one.
Cost about 15/20e, width is 120cm so narrower than Sunbrella, available online.

Also, for some time in Italy one could find a fabric named "Sumbrella" (sic), really not sure how it compared to real Sunbrella.
Thanks for your response. Glad there are other alternatives to the over priced and over advertised Sunbrella. I will certainly check out your recommendations. I can help with the thread - the label has come off, but it is the one they advertise with Sunbrella in the US. I think Sailright. They also make videos online. Hoping to sort it soon - one more good storm and it will fall apart.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
we have a roll on the boat waiting patiently to become a dodger
Best luck, it's by far the most difficult and time consuming piece of canvaswork I made, but very rewarding too.
Unfortunately the clear PVC for the windows I bought was supposedly UV resistant but after about 12 month exposure they are all cloudy, I already need to replace them :(

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We also had ours made with Tenara thread for maximum UV resistance. Over the years we have spent many hours hand sewing repairs to stitching and recently scrapped a genoa that was still in good shape but needing to be totally restitched. It costs more, not only because the thread is more expensive but it is difficult to work with.

geem

Visit site
Our sprayhood is 12 years old. The fabric was purchased by the sailmaker from Kayospruce. Ours has shrunk and its time for a new one. It's dark blue. Super longevity from the darker colours and they don't show the dirt like light colours. We purchased some biege Kayospruce fabrics for a bimini and that is also impossible to clean. Mould spots and generally just dirty. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kayospruce fabric is actually Sunbrella.
Colour does seem to matter

geem

Visit site
We also had ours made with Tenara thread for maximum UV resistance. Over the years we have spent many hours hand sewing repairs to stitching and recently scrapped a genoa that was still in good shape but needing to be totally restitched. It costs more, not only because the thread is more expensive but it is difficult to work with.
I have heard that is difficult to sew with Tenara. The couple of sailmaker I know that use it set up a dedicated machine for it as it takes so long to get the tension right. Strangely our 70 year old Singer can switch between Tenara and V92 with no problems. My wife made the stackpacks with it
Edit: we borrowed a sailrite machine to sew some 1mm perspex. It couldn't sew with Tenara at all after half a day trying to set the machine up

steveeasy

Visit site
Sauleda Is a really good material and I’ve used quite a bit. Price is reasonable and pro fabrics online sell a big range of colours.

Steveeasy