Alongside etiquette?

Carmel2

Visit site
We don't do much alongside mooring apart from picking up fuel and emptying our holding tanks, it's not that I don't want to or have a fear of it, it's been all down to space in the past.

So now I am alongside and our bows are about a metre from the stern of the next boat with the wind blowing towards us. He has just lit his BBQ and it fecking stinks so much so that we have had to close hatches in 28 degrees, thankfully it's gas so no hot embers.

So is he a d i c k, or am I a d i c k for moaning?

macd

Visit site
I wouldn't dare venture an opinion, but would suggest that Richard skippers the other boat rather than yours. Really nothing to do with type of berthing, or even boats, is it?: just simple consideration and engaging of the brain.

Carmel2

Visit site
Perhaps the bbq will attract the rat/mouse!

If I get the git tonight it might be a nice surprise on their next BBQ. I don't know but one of the most disgusting cooking smells to me is chips in a deep fat fryer in which the oil has just had it, that came next!! We have had a row, so it's full on war. We have the boat name and a full holding tank..............watch this space.

claudio

Visit site
If I get the git tonight it might be a nice surprise on their next BBQ. I don't know but one of the most disgusting cooking smells to me is chips in a deep fat fryer in which the oil has just had it, that came next!! We have had a row, so it's full on war. We have the boat name and a full holding tank..............watch this space.

Do you need to wash your sails :)

Visit site
Where is this harbour which permits the use of barbecues when moored to a quay by any configuration?

We only use ours when at anchor.

Marsupial

Visit site

Infuriating isnt it!!

when my boat was in Messolonghi the richard on a steel boat next to me spent the winter fettling his craft with an angle grinder covered mine in mild steel partials that went rusty, by the time I returned we had a red boat. unfortunately he had gone by the time arrived but what had occurred was plain to see and reported by others. oxalic sorted it but took some time.

well I have not done this to anyone but try this, sprinkle his deck with iron filings, a bit like sprinkling forget me nots on a troublesome neighbours lawn (we actually planted potatoes in the lawn of the house next door before we left the UK) - something for them to remember us by. we don't do confrontation but that doesn't mean we don't respond; its a don't get mad get even sort of thing.

as for steel boats I am considering making a sign that says "don't moor here electrical current leakage hazard" and hanging that over the side - in three languages of course.

Carmel2

Visit site
Where is this harbour which permits the use of barbecues when moored to a quay by any configuration?

We only use ours when at anchor.

It's the unfinished wall in Pedi on Symi. Oh dear, the wind is blowing the other way, and my generator is going on today for quite a while......might even stay on through lunch.

Last edited:

Sybarite

Visit site
We don't do much alongside mooring apart from picking up fuel and emptying our holding tanks, it's not that I don't want to or have a fear of it, it's been all down to space in the past.

So now I am alongside and our bows are about a metre from the stern of the next boat with the wind blowing towards us. He has just lit his BBQ and it fecking stinks so much so that we have had to close hatches in 28 degrees, thankfully it's gas so no hot embers.

So is he a d i c k, or am I a d i c k for moaning?

Can you move in front of him and then barbeque sardines?

Tony Cross

Visit site
It's the unfinished wall in Pedi on Symi. Oh dear, the wind is blowing the other way, and my generator is going on today for quite a while......might even stay on through lunch.

Is it a portable suitcase-type generator by any chance? You'll find they work best when used at the bow, if you can balance them on the seat at the front of the pulpit (do lash it on) you'll find you get much better performance. ;)

Carmel2

Visit site
Is it a portable suitcase-type generator by any chance? You'll find they work best when used at the bow, if you can balance them on the seat at the front of the pulpit (do lash it on) you'll find you get much better performance. ;)

If only, it's inbuilt, Anyway they have gone now, a space came up at the far end of the wall. So if you come across a Bav 38 called Protea from Hamburg tell him he is a Bell End!

Bell End! I don't think I have used that in years.

Poignard

Visit site
well I have not done this to anyone but try this, sprinkle his deck with iron filings, a bit like sprinkling forget me nots on a troublesome neighbours lawn (we actually planted potatoes in the lawn of the house next door before we left the UK) - something for them to remember us by. we don't do confrontation but that doesn't mean we don't respond; its a don't get mad get even sort of thing.

Why don't you "do confrontation"? :confused:

Marsupial

Visit site
Why don't you "do confrontation"? :confused:

by all means politely request a change in behaviour - but not confrontationally as it can rapidly escalate with ugly consequences especially in the med guns and knives are commonplace. if he wont give way its better to use your head and be smarter than him, more underhand and devious, make his life a misery without him having any clue as to where all the 5hit is coming from - it works for me.

you need a background in the east-end if you want to understand how to survive and keep all your limbs but still dish out the grief - and I promise you confrontation isnt it..

Last edited:

Carmel2

Visit site
by all means politely request a change in behaviour - but not confrontationally as it can rapidly escalate with ugly consequences especially in the med guns and knives are commonplace. if he wont give way its better to use your head and be smarter than him, more underhand and devious, make his life a misery without him having any clue as to where all the 5hit is coming from - it works for me.

you need a background in the east-end if you want to understand how to survive and keep all your limbs but still dish out the grief - and I promise you
confrontation isnt it..

I have flipped my lid on many occasions with little result, the most effective way that I found is to get the digital camera out, start taking photos and before long the skip will appear. Take some of him/her, they will be wanting to know what the hell you are doing. I say it's just for our insurance because you are anchored too close and I think there may be problems later on, they tend to pi55 off toute suite.