Almanac chartlets

TonyTitch

Visit site
This moan is about the little charts for individual ports that are printed in the big almanacs. At the beginning of this year, for a change,I bought the almanac published by the Cruising Association. When I had a good look at the chart of my nearest port, Newhaven, it was clearly at least 20 years old and had a number of errors,wrongly naming quays and a bridge. I wrote to the Cruising Association listing the errors,etc, suggesting that if this one was so badly wrong, one couldn't really trust any of the others. I got a rather sniffy letter back about 2 months later rejecting my assertion, and it sounded as if it had been answered by the only poor devil in the office who couldn't get out of the job. This lot appear to get the chartlets for their almanac from Imrays and like nearly everyone else, print the standard get out that they are 'not to be used for navigation.' So what in hell's use are they, other than as pretty pictures? How frequently are they brought up to date? Are all the almanacs as bad? Should I get Macmillan Reed's next year?
TT

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
You would hope that they are upto date. Last years Macmillan Reed's had the new Poole marina in, so I would guess that they update yearly.
I tend to use charts and chartlets as a guide and sail by what I see, it works for me!

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
I use the West Coast Almanac which seems to have up to date charts in it but tend to rely more on CCC or Lawrence Pilots for the finer detail.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Gelfi

Visit site
If you want an Almanac buy an Almanac like the PBO Almanac, if you want a pilot book buy the latest edition of the one for the area you intent to sail in.

Almanacs give nautical data where as pilot books give you port and sailing information.

At the price of so called Almanacs published by the two companies named above you could probably buy a couple of good pilots.

<hr width=100% size=1>The only way to go is by water