Alcohol stoves

Patrick_Doolan

Visit site
I have just bought a second hand Carver 25 cruiser here in Bermuda and it has an alcohol cooker installed in the galley.

It seems to be a dual unit - 110V shore power or alcohol fuel.

I have never come across a cooker like this before on board a boat. Does anyone know where I can get more information about the operation and safety aspects of such a stove. It is a pressue alcohol version according the the marine surveyor. If the safety aspects of the stove compare favourably with an LPG example I would prefer to use it rather than go to all the trouble of building a doghouse on the flying bridge to store the gas cylinders, changing the cooker, plumbing it in and installing the gas detectors in the bilges.

Any information would be welcome.

Patrick Doolan

<hr width=100% size=1>

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
Since the electric part of the stove is 110 V, it's most probably a US make and the only firm, to my knowledge, that makes combination stoves is Electrolux (Origo). Their alcohol burner is definitely not pressure alcohol; that's their main safety claim... You'll probably find some answers to your questions at the web site they must have
john (new york)

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimh

Visit site
I have a dual stove on board my boat, manufactured by Kenyon who incidently do a 240v version (mine) as well as the 110v. In terms of performance, (alchohol mode) once the burner gets going ie once the pressure has built up the output is ok for general use. Alcohol fires can be put out with water so from a safety perspective is ok too (imho). My advice, if you do a lot of frequent cooking on board, you may wish to consider converting to lpg because the Alcohol bowl requires quite frequent refilling and gets very sooty too.

<hr width=100% size=1>