Alacrity/Jaguar/Catalina 22

G

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier posting requesting help with mast stepping and rigging for an Alacrity 22 - I think I've got the general idea, the standing rigging is fairly self-explanatory, and I've sorted out what else must be attached aloft before raising the mast, however one conundrum remains - the topping lift. As a former Merchant Navy officer (although I know bugger all about sailing, as you may have guessed), I know that the topping lifts on a 'big ship' are used to raise & lower the derricks, and on a yacht its main function must be to raise and support the boom. But what happens when the mainsail is hoisted ? - doesn't it get in the way ? - or is it unshackled from the end of the boom when the sail is up ? - I've looked at dozens of photo's of yachts of this type under sail, and the topping lift seems not to be there.

I found a whole wealth of information about the Catalina 22 (the US original of the Alacrity & Jaguar 22's) on the Catalina 22 Owners Association website, but not enough to resolve the above problem - any answers ?

Thanks

Ray Crabtree

p. s. I think I've found a relatively cheap and effective way of removing excessive lateral play due to wear in the lifting keel pivot arrangement, if anyone's interested ......................

Strathglass

Visit site
Retopping lift

The topping lift just hangs there, it is left slack enough such that it in no way supports the boom thus affecting the curvature in the leech. Sometimes it may require tightning a little when you put a reef in, as long as it is not overtightened. A spring loaded kicker is an expensive way of eleminating the requirement for a topping lift on some yachts.

G

Re: Retopping lift

The function of the topping lift is primarily for supporting the boom when sails are not hoisted (keeping the boom off the deck and out of the way).

When sails are set it is usually disconnected and shackled to a convenient pint at or near the base of the mast, or for those with a less tidy arrangement can be slackened and left connected to the boom end beware not to leave it too loose or it could catc on fittings and crew and become a hazard.

Instead of bar kicker in light winds the topping lift is often uses to take the weight of the boom allowing the leach of the sail to open and allow a smooth airflow acros the sail.

G

Re: Retopping lift

The trick is to set the topping lift length at a few inches more than the mainsail leech. allowing the sail to carry the boom and the topping lift to be slack. When you drop the mainsail, the topping lift quickly supports the boom and bob's your proverbial ..... as posted by another if your a smart one ..... most yotties are not !!!! you can use the topping lift to scandalise the main and reduce its drive or increase its shape .... but better still leave it alone !!!!