Alacrity 18 bilge keeler wins RTI !

PeterV

Visit site
But it's not a bilge keeper is it. Hull of an Alacrity, bilge keels and deck cut off, replaced by the fin keel and deck off a racing yacht, carbon racing rig added and a T foil rudder. I think it would beat a bilge keeper quite easily!

Seajet

Visit site
A surprising way to go, he would indeed have been better off modifying an early Anderson 22 ( big keelcase so suited for racing not so much cruising, I know of one going with deck still unattached, also one of the two fin keel models built which cleaned up in racing on the Clyde, going very cheap ) which has a much better hull shape than an Alacrity - still he did OK !

Last edited:

stevebrassett

Visit site
But it's not a bilge keeper is it. Hull of an Alacrity, bilge keels and deck cut off, replaced by the fin keel and deck off a racing yacht, carbon racing rig added and a T foil rudder. I think it would beat a bilge keeper quite easily!
How on earth do they work out the handicap for a boat like that? Past results?

XDC

Visit site
The link that I referred to has changed slightly but this is what it said

“Local boat Eeyore, an Alacrity 18 Bilge Keel from Cowes, has laid claim to the prestigious Gold Roman Bowl, winning this year’s Round the Island Race after a long tactical day on the water.

With a crew of just three: skipper Jo Richards and his friends David Rickard and Duncan De Boltz, the 18 foot bilge keel was the smallest boat in the race.”

I just wonder where the writer actually got the information from as I have absolutely no knowledge of Alacrity’s other than what I read in the report .. 18’ and bilge keel.

Really odd

PeterV

Visit site
I would love to see the details of that measurement process...:rolleyes:

You can find out a bit by looking up the IRC rating process. On th official site the boat is described as 'design type' Alacrity 18 bilge keel. This would have been provided by the owner on the entry form, so it's not surprising that's what's been reported. Alacrity 18 modified out of all recognition isn't so interesting. There's a naval saying, 'never spoil a good dit with the truth.'

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I may be out of line with most people but I would love to read an article by or an interview with the owner setting out the design process and the intended rating, whether that rating was achieved and the reasoning behind each modification.

I find the idea of someone choosing a sixties pocket cruiser as the basis for a 2010s competitive racer fascinating.

https://www.rushallsailing.com/racing-small-keelboats/

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Yes considering the huge modifications and presumably great deal of money spent on a questionable base design there must be a good story there on the ' why on earth ? ' sort of basis...

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Yes considering the huge modifications and presumably great deal of money spent on a questionable base design there must be a good story there on the ' why on earth ? ' sort of basis...

2nd in class RTI 2017
Gold Roman in 2019.

That sort of basis. He's a talented designer with a sense of humour. Light airs = small boat win. Make the smallest possible boat go fast.

Seajet

Visit site
But starting with a twin keel Alacrity rather than say at a similar size and much better hull shape a Hunter 19 - would seem an odd choice, so yes there's a story there.

Seajet

Visit site
And a much slipperier hull than an Alacrity, see ' Very Willing Griffin ' by the late David Blagden.

Of course I am biased towards Oliver Lee designs - the Anderson 22 is an improved rip-off of the Hunter 701 - but I'd defy anyone to look at an Oliver Lee design as she hangs in the hoist and say I'm wrong, the A22 from underneath always reminds me of a killer whale Orca.