AIS SART messages

millgent

Visit site
After installing an AIT5000 and now using the masthead serial (with a splitter) we now have huge range. This unfortunately means we receive more SART messages from boats much further away . We cannot stop these messages taking over our Raymarine C70/ e7 chartplotters except by switching off the AIS. Sailing in the Solent it seems a lot of people fall in when there are hundreds of boats closer than us. We would prefer to receive only the coastguard's Mayday Relay of the Sart. The e7 might have a setting to filter these out but i don't think the c70 does. Any tips? Both screens are set to receive ais by nmea1083. the e7 might be possible to set to use nmea2000 and then maybe it could acknowledge to shut up the ait5000?? at present we have to switch off the ais until the Sart has stopped transmitting as both screens are unusable and blocked by the sart message.

Attachments

• IMG_6451.jpeg
    IMG_6451.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

Refueler

Visit site
I understand your annoyance ... imagine what its like on a ship with the even greater range !!

But imagine if you could 'filter' what AIS you receive etc. - it would defeat one of the main reasons of AIS ..

Aja

Visit site
I can limit the range on my Standard Horizon Matrix VHF/AIS with internal splitter. So although aerial is at masthead usually I'm just interested in vessels in 1.5 miles range unless 'on passage' where range is extended.
All displayed on my Garmin 751.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
As Aja says, SH AIS has an alarm setting for Range and CPA which can be turned on/off or adjusted. SART messages are a function of the VHF radio and are being 'forwarded' to your AIS. You may be able to set the function parameters on your AIS but you will have to RTM or wait for a reply from someone who has the same equipment.

Refueler

Visit site
As Aja says, SH AIS has an alarm setting for Range and CPA which can be turned on/off or adjusted. SART messages are a function of the VHF radio and are being 'forwarded' to your AIS. You may be able to set the function parameters on your AIS but you will have to RTM or wait for a reply from someone who has the same equipment.

Range and CPA are not what guy is asking about .... he's asking about SART .....

Refueler

Visit site
I think Monty Mariner knows that, and has provided what seems to me to be very helpful clarification to the the OP, who said the problem had emerged as a result of his recently extended 'huge range'.

I can read ... strange that - taught by mother and school.

My point is that SART is not supposed to be at the whim of the user ... its a prime safety net ...

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
I can read ... strange that - taught by mother and school.

My point is that SART is not supposed to be at the whim of the user ... its a prime safety net ...
Taught, but maybe not to think it through! 😁
SART is a function of the VHF and, as you say, cannot be disabled. The OP's problem is that it is forwarded to his AIS screen and clogging it up. My point is that it might be possible to select/deselect what is displayed on the AIS screen. The AIS manual might give him that information.

Reactions: Aja

Refueler

Visit site
Taught, but maybe not to think it through! 😁
SART is a function of the VHF and, as you say, cannot be disabled. The OP's problem is that it is forwarded to his AIS screen and clogging it up. My point is that it might be possible to select/deselect what is displayed on the AIS screen. The AIS manual might give him that information.

Ha bloody Ha ...

As regards 'repeater' that's another matter.