airlines and inflatable PFDs

sealion

Visit site
Inflatable Pfd co2 cartridges are classified as "hazardous material". Has anyone had an experience trying to board an airplane with an inflatable PFD ?

southchinasea

Visit site
IATA (International Air Transport Association) Dangerous goods regulations (43rd edition effective Januay 2002)...Section 2.3.4 'Goods acceptable with operator approval as baggage'.
2.3.4.2 - Non-flammable Gas cylinder fitted into a life jacket.
Not more than two small cylinders, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2 per person fitted into a self-inflating life jacket for inflation purposes plus not more than two spare cartridges.
Unquote

Bottom line - Check the airline involved as they have final say but they are approved for carriage as baggage unless the individual airline says no. Use the above reference when you call, as you undoubtedly will get some poor lad or lass who won't have a clue!

Cheers

G

Well I wanted to take two of those from Helsinki to Mallorca, via Zuerich and Barcelona. Helsinki was ok, Zuerich was ok BUT in Barcelona a very unhelpful security guard refused to discuss the matter. I referred to the IATA regulations but her only comment was "not in Spain". I then asked for her senior officer but unfortunately she claimed to be the most senior on site, so I ended up leving the cartridges with her.

Andreas

southchinasea

Visit site
Not impressive. As I am sure you know the airlines themselves (mainly thru IATA) determine what DG's are
permitted for carriage; It isn't up to the security guard UNLESS the carrier involved had notified
them specifically but then she would surely have said. Odd.
Regards

G

I would have thought all the lifejackets under the seats of the planes would be fitted with these? What's wrong with a few extras?

If you were planning some kind of terrorist act with one of these cylinders (not sure how) just rip one out of the lifejacket supplied!