Agios Nikolaos Marina, Crete - Possible winter 2018/9 liveboard

rodsuter

Visit site
The admiral and I are considering wintering 2018/9 in the southern Med, probably Crete.

Would appreciate any info, sources of info, experiences or pointers on selecting this location.

Does this marina attract a reasonable number of liveaboards over winter ?

Thanks in advance.

rodsuter

Visit site
Hi Vyv - Thanks, I will contact them and see what the situation is for next winter. It's been a long time - trust you and Gill are well - where are you guys these days? I saw Straitshooter on the hard at Leros when I passed through in March.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Hi Vyv - Thanks, I will contact them and see what the situation is for next winter. It's been a long time - trust you and Gill are well - where are you guys these days? I saw Straitshooter on the hard at Leros when I passed through in March.

It looks like (fingers crossed) my treatment has been successful and we will be back on board next year. Straitshooter has been moved a few times we understand while work has been done on the yard surface. Hope we can find her next April!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It looks like (fingers crossed) my treatment has been successful and we will be back on board next year. Straitshooter has been moved a few times we understand while work has been done on the yard surface. Hope we can find her next April!

What ever the problem was , good to hear all gone well for you .

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
What ever the problem was , good to hear all gone well for you .

Thanks Vic. It was prostate cancer. I was alerted by a good friend of the need to have regular PSA tests (only a blood sample) once past the age of 50, which I confess I am(!) I had one almost straight away, the result was that I was afflicted. After various tests, which were probably the worst aspect of the whole story, I underwent 37 radiotherapy treatments and ongoing hormone injections, which will continue for three years. Thanks to the warning from my friend Pete the problem was caught early and eradication seems to have been successful. The message is clear - get yourself a PSA test if you have not done so already.

Roger52

Visit site
Nothing to do with the marina but just to support what vyv said about prostate cancer. I mentioned to my GP when I went to see him about something else that I seemed to pee a lot and the flow was poor. That was March. Following a scan and biopsy I had the prostate removed by robotic surgery in August and have now been given the all clear subject to regular monitoring. Get a PSA test done. If there is a problem the earlier it's detected the better. The percentage of men who have this problem by their 60/70's is alarming.

RobbieW

Visit site
I understand from Tony Cross' postings on CA that this marina attracts so many liveaboards over winter that unless you book very soon you will not find a vacant berth for winter 2018/9.

Mentioning Tony made me realise I'd not seen anything from him on here in a while. Just checked and last posts in June, is all well do we know ?

rodsuter

Visit site

Sorry to hear about your problem Vyv, but very glad to hear that you have have caught it in time. Stay positive, hope to see you both somewhere next year - our boat is on the hard at Agmar.

crisjones

Visit site
The admiral and I are considering wintering 2018/9 in the southern Med, probably Crete.

Would appreciate any info, sources of info, experiences or pointers on selecting this location.

Does this marina attract a reasonable number of liveaboards over winter ?

Thanks in advance.

Certainly lots of liveaboards and a very active cruisers social scene if that is what you are looking for, early booking is essential as others have said.
Have a look on Noonsite for some reports about overwintering in Ag Nik (one from me) - you will see the differing points of view!! In my opinion Tony and Gerry would be much happier if no one wintered in Ag Nik and they could have the place to themselves, however almost everyone else seemed to enjoy the place and many are wintering there again. If you want a busy social winter in an active Greek town it is a good choice.
It is very busy and maybe the facilities are not quite geared up to deal with the number of liveaboards and occasionally there is some ill feeling between cruisers but overall it is a fun place to winter. We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 winters in Ag Nik and would certainly consider it again in the future.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Hello all, I am alive and well thank you, I've just been taking an extended break from YBW. A 'concerned citizen' has emailed me to point me at this thread....

I can confirm that the marina manager of Agios Nikoloas Marina advised me a week or so ago that winter 2018/2019 was almost fully booked and that only a small handful of spaces remain. Anyone hoping to winter here next year should call the marina today. Since the time taken for winters here to become fully booked has been steadily reducing I would advise anyone thinking of wintering here in 2019/2020 to book during the fist half of 2018 (you will have to pay a 30% deposit).

I can also confirm that neither Jerry nor myself would be happy 'if no one wintered in Ag Nik and they could have the place to themselves'. What makes us unhappy (and what has made the marina management and many in the town extremely unhappy) is exactly what Carmel2 mentioned; marina residents who disrespect the town and the local people and who undo years of goodwill that has been built up between the town and the marina winter liveaboards. I suspect that most people reading that post will appreciate where the problems really lay...

The Adult Day Care group that caused all the problems have now left the marina but I will repeat the message I posted on the Noosite thread that was referenced above; I said that 'Agios Nikolaos Marina does not have a clubhouse and that this marina will not suit those who enjoy a clubhouse style of winter entertainment'. That post was made incidentally with the full knowledge and agreement of the marina management.