Aft cabin hatch

Stingo

Visit site
1. Wouldn't have it open at sea.
2. If you're predominantly anchored, have it forward facing (side closest to the bow lifts up) so that it can "scoop" the wind.
3: can't think of a reason to have it facing back unless you have hatches forward that are open and thus the aft backfacing hatch would work well with venturie effect (sucking air out of the boat - the forward hatch push air in and the aft sucks air out. Can't have all hatchs pushing air in - it's gotta escape somehow)

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> <font color=blue>- now showing at a computer near you</font color=blue>

jimi

Visit site
Only reason I can think of fo having it not facing back is in case you're pooped .. but at you're age you probably are already!

I'd have the hinges at the front to stop the rain getting in, unless there's a serious danger of pooping yourself in which case I'd take it off altogether tae let the smell out!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
I see being awa' playing . . . Sorry, getting yourself suitably certificated . . . hasne changed ye in ony wye, thank goodness.

How did it all go, by the way?? Did you require all, or indeed any, of the advice ye were given by the members of this form??

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Weel Ah got aff tae a bad stert!
I asked the examiner if he had a medical condition and got a very funny look in return!
Really enjoyed the week despite the cold although the mix of the instructees was not good with 2 potential Yachtmasters, who had done the theory, needing more of a competent crew course. One did not take any exam as he was not even a competent day skipper, the other two did Coastal Skipper. On the exam we left the Itchen c 20:00 on Friday. I was tasked with taking us to Wooton Creek via the Bramble post (at lowish water), coastal skippers then took us into Beaulieu via Cowes. I then had to take the boat to Newton Creek and get us moored on a bouy. During the sail I had a MOB under sail (thought that was a bit OTT doing a MOB in the dark under sail .. but managed it OK).Has to sail off the bouy in the morning where a Coastal skipper took over. I then had to sail onto a buoy on the Hamble (stiff F5) and berth and deberth from some awkward spots. This was then followed by blind Nav from Calshot to a bouy near Netley with zero visibility. Examiner gave me it even though we were 50yds away when I said we should be at it ... I'd have been upset if he had'nt!!! All in all a really enjoyable and challenging experience.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Just to confuse you

Aft cabin, eh? Now there's posh for you.

It's possible to get hatches that can open in two directions, or even four (though not at the same time!) so you can choose your poison. All to do with pulling hinge pins out on one side, and pushing them in on the other.

Maybe someone with more brain cells in working order than me can remember the manufacturer's name?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Hatch back

Ah reckon the old boy's getting rid of the Morris traveller and wants a hot hatch ...
he's getting confused between mainsheets, insemination and germination ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Where\'s ra respect

Ther's an edge to youse ma wee mannie noo that yer wearing they rings on yer wee sleevie.
Jes tae set ra record straight - Ah hiv nivver pooped in ra aft cabin, an ah'm daein this purely fer safety reasons so as when youse and Para jine me fer ra gennelmans cruse - ye'll no be repairtin me tae yer new found frien Rod Carr when ra steering gangs duff an we canna git oorsels oot o' ra midden.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

claymore

Visit site
Re: Just to confuse you

I'd lose the bloody pins - have enough trouble with the car keys. Found the teapot in the Fridge this morning, started believing in poltergeists.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: chilled teapots

that is a bad sign
it is usually swmbo has taken to filling it with gin

if you come home tonight and ask how her day has been and she just points at the teapot, grins, then falls over, i am afraid it is betty ford bound for her.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.</font color=red>

Other threads that may be of interest