advicw on the tidal ouse and trent

willowkevin

kev8255.fotopic.net
hi i was wondering if anyone can give me advice on the above rivers ? i have a small boat similar to a norman 20' conquest(center cabin) it has aa 9.9hp evinrude on it and i want to use the ouse downstream from naburn lock butt have never been "tidal" any lessons learned would be appreciated !

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
Do a search on Trent and you should get some information. The lower part of the Trent, below Torksey, is not hospitable at all to small boats and near Trent Falls getting the tide right is critical. You need to have Day Skipper level knowledge at least. Your boat needs to be properly equiped for tidal waters. I would recommend you only go on these waters with a person who is experienced. Definately dont do it with wife and kids. IMHO. Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

claudio

Visit site
I'd take some lessons, the sand banks on the humber are constantly shifting, charts are updated at least every two weeks!

You'll definately need to have and know how to use a depth sounder / lead line.
Once you get from the Ouse to the Humber there is some serious shipping, I mean container ships, coasters e.t.c.

<hr width=100% size=1>

seaesta

Visit site
Last year I took my Westerly 25 from Whitby up to York and then up the Trent to Lincoln via the Fossdyke. The Trent was in full flood but I managed (with a 6h.p. engine) no problem. Doing upstream with the tide is much easier than going downstream because the tide turns earlier the lower down the River you are. You will probably need to stop at Selby Basin en route down and either motor through the Selby Canal - R .Aire and South Yorkshire Navigation to the Trent at Keadby or take two tides to get to Trent falls and go up the Trent from there. There are waterways guides and local charts to help you (Chandlers at Naburn). Talk to the locals at Naburn and the Lock Keeper for sound advice. I suggest dropping the mast because you may well be travelling quickly on the tide and this avoids making arrangements to open the bridges. I find this sort of sailing great fun and you can cover a long distance in a short time. Read up , plan well, get a locally experienced person to help if you can but go for it anyway!

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
If you are an experienced sailor then the Trent can be interesting if you boat is well equiped. There are no lifting or turning or moveable bridges on the Trent. If you ener the river with a mast up you will find it almost impossible to find a mooring place where you can lower it, assuming you can self lower. There are no facilities for anyone to lower it for you. The only chance of mooring is against a coaster or barge as the wharfs are designed to moor ships alongside.
If you come round from the Ouse you are unlikely to come across any other pleasure craft, apart from the height of the season, and if you get into trouble then you are on your own.
As I said in my previous post the lower Trent is not hospitable for small boats and you should either travel in company or with someone who is very experienced.

<hr width=100% size=1>