Advice requested on petrol generator

tonyleigh

Visit site
I am about to buy a petrol generator and among other things would like to power a small power washer (Karcher 2.94 rated 1.4kW). I am trying to determine whether this has an induction motor or a universal commutator as the generator supplier warns me I shall need 2-3X the power washer's rating (1.4kW) to start up the pump if the former. This information is not included in the manual and I cannot get an answer to my request for information from Karcher. Concerns over weight and portability mean I am reluctant to get a larger generator than is necessary and am considering the Briggs & Stratton 2500 with a rated output of 2100kW,

Knowing the breadth of knowledge and experience this forum taps into I wonder if anyone can give an answer to any one of these questions which should allow me to come to a decision.
1. Does the Karcher range of small pressure washers have an induction motor or a universal commutator?
2. Does anyone use a Briggs & Stratton 2500 to power a Karcher 2.94?
3. Does anyone successfully use a generator outputting 2000-2500kW to power one of the Karcher range of small power washers?

Many thanks.

pappaecho

Visit site
Have seen several power washers being used with petrol generators at our club, but no idea of their electrical requirements or the demand of the power washer.
If you have the K'Archer unit, why dont you try it out on the Briggs and Stratton genny before you buy?

A

Anonymous

Probably an obvious suggestion but can you not take the washer to the supplier, and actually see them working together as a pair before you buy? The generator supplier says "2 to 3 times" - well, which is it? Two or three? Big, big difference!

FWIW, I would be pretty sure that it is a universal commutator as a pretty high torque is needed when the pressure is high.

You know, presumably, that petrol washers are available, avoiding the need to have electricity at all, and you might find that you can buy a petrol washer and a more appropriate generator for other uses if you also need a generator for other things. The B&S 2kW will be a huge lump of noisy, smelly iron to have on a yacht if it is the type I think it is when you'd be looking for a modern almost-silent invertor types such as the Honda for use on board.

tonyleigh

Visit site
Thank you both but questions are precise intentionally. Gen supplier is 300 miles away. Gen is required for winter maintenance ashore - no need (or desire!!!!) on board. B&S 2500 meets all other power and portability requirements. I have worked out very carefully what I want and need to ascertain whether it is possible. If the combination is not workable I shall consider the best compromise.

A

Anonymous

OK. The problem is that while it is almost certainly a universal motor in the Karcher, and there will be a surge, I would have thought that the 2.1kW generator would start it, albeit coughing smoke and sounding like a 1950s lawnmower when it does so (which such generators are prone to do at the best of times in my experience). But you need to try it as nobody can give you any guarantees.

baggypipes

freewebs.com
Cant get into too much tec detail cos i dont understand it
Our own set up & been in use on board for 4yrs with no trouble= Honda EU20i 2000 + kartcher winner 104 pressure washer
washer is 1.5kw. operating pressure 80bar. max pump pressure100bar. flow vol330i/h. weight 3.5kg.
this gets the antifoul off ok & cleans the decks no prob.
hope this is of some help.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
coughing smoke and sounding like a 1950s lawnmower

[/ QUOTE ] My Ransomes Lawnmower, "By appointment to HM King George VI", resents that remark. As does its Mark 2 Midget Villiers two stroke engine!

tonyleigh

Visit site
That is most useful, thank you. Your Honda EU20i is rated watts 1600 Kva2 6hp compared with B&S rated watts 2000 Kva2.5 6.5hp and your washer very comparable to mine. I don't understand the technicalities but logic suggests the B&S should therefore be man for the job.

A

Anonymous

[ QUOTE ]
My Ransomes Lawnmower, "By appointment to HM King George VI", resents that remark. As does its Mark 2 Midget Villiers two stroke engine!

[/ QUOTE ]I grew up with it's predecessor, with starting handle and decompression lever on the top.

I had a Briggs and Stratton engine on my last tractor mower and they are quite unlike your Villiers....I'll say no more but apologise to your Ransome and its Mk 2 Midget, it got caught in an over-generalisation /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif