Advice Please

Little Dorrit

Visit site
I have noticed that there is quite a considerable amount of play on the my tiller due to the fact that the laminated tiller and stainless steel tiller bracket is about 6 mm wider (3mm on each side) than the rudder head; I suspect the tiller and stainless bracket are quite new and that they were not made as tight a fit as they should have been. The bracket is attached to the rudder with three bolts.

The play is not excessive but will over time get worse and is probably a problem waiting to happen!

I am thinking of having two long stainless steel plates made to act as 'washers' to sandwich between the rudder and tiller bracket.

However, I'm wondering if some 3 mm ply, a piece of sheet plastic or even rubber sheet may be kinder on the gel coat of the rudder head?

Any views welcome.

VicS

Visit site
I have noticed that there is quite a considerable amount of play on the my tiller due to the fact that the laminated tiller and stainless steel tiller bracket is about 6 mm wider (3mm on each side) than the rudder head; I suspect the tiller and stainless bracket are quite new and that they were not made as tight a fit as they should have been. The bracket is attached to the rudder with three bolts.

The play is not excessive but will over time get worse and is probably a problem waiting to happen!

I am thinking of having two long stainless steel plates made to act as 'washers' to sandwich between the rudder and tiller bracket.

However, I'm wondering if some 3 mm ply, a piece of sheet plastic or even rubber sheet may be kinder on the gel coat of the rudder head?

Any views welcome.

I think I'd opt for hard plastic spacers. Nylon ??? PVC ???.

Seal the plastic to stainless interface well to prevent crevice corrosion

William_H

Visit site
Hi Vic Ah the good old days.... I think the food inductry with disposable plastic containers would be a good source of shimming material . Yes I really dislike play in tiller/rudder system. With a transom mounted rudder my biggest problem has always been the bottom pintle wearing. good luck olewill

Little Dorrit

Visit site
There is a plastic manufacturer locally to me where I think I can get some Nylon 6 sheet for free... So I'll probably use that or double glazing PVC sheet which I know is also readily available as offcuts as its used to clad commercial kitchens. As usual good advice ? ...thanks once again.

Topcat47

Visit site
If you pop down to a local Double Glazing company and ask....they have plastic shims for window fitting. Some are even tapered so you can use two and tap either end with a small hammer to adjust the thickness. If you see a fitter's van on your travels, you might try to blag a few from them. They come into the companies in bags of 1000.