Advice please?

tabler

Visit site
Hi, at the ripe old age of 50, I'm about to buy my first boat. Something which I have dreamed about.

The boat I'm intrested in is a Princess 32, in very good condition and based at Horning.

I would want the boat berthed at York and being new to the hobby, need to keep the sea leg of the journey North as short as possible. Which I think would be 'out' at Great Yarmouth and 'in' at Boston (and hence to the Trent etc etc).

Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience? How long would this sea leg take? any problems? etc.

Any advice to a newbie would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Eric.

Last edited:

carlton

Visit site
Hi tabler - welcome to the forum.

York? I believe Forumite Tinkicker keeps his boat at York, or possibly Naburn. Hopefully he'll be along soon to advise on moorings.

Take it you're referring to moving the boat by sea from Horning? If so, the cheapest way would be to put it on a wagon. Having said that, as you say you're new to boating, I'd strongly recommend engaging a professional to bring the boat 'home' - there's a lot to learn - and if you engaged said professional he would provide tuition along the way.

You need to learn about tides/weather/safety/fuel consumption/loads of other things.

By the way, don't even think about just turning the key and setting off. Boats are not like cars, and the first thing you'd need to do would be to get the engine/s checked and serviced - if you don't, it'll bite you on the bum, and being adrift in a boat anywhere on the North Sea is no joke. (Ask me how I know...)

Good luck either way, and keep us posted with developments. ;)

nrbx

Visit site
Hi Eric,

There tend to be a few options to moor the boat at least very close to York, the main one being Naburn (York marina) which is around 4 miles from the center of York by river.
There are plenty of river moorings which are better value, but you don't get the power/water/services attatched!

If you're coming by sea then you will have some fun in the Humber, which can get very choppy very often, so it's worth reading up on that river stretch.

Might it be worth transporting it up by Road and then start learning on the river?

carlton

Visit site
If you're coming by sea then you will have some fun in the Humber, which can get very choppy very often, so it's worth reading up on that river stretch.

Indeed - the tide runs at up to nine knots on springs. Could be interesting if you're stemming it in a boat with a top speed of eight knots...

tabler

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies gentlemen. When I said York I was generalising, I did actually mean Naburn (I was there talking to them this weekend).

On reflection, road really is the way to go. Learn the handling skills on the river, hopefully make some friends at the marina and venture out onto the Humber over a period of time, then at some time in the future berth the boat at Hartlepool.

This is the 'grand plan' anyway, at the moment I have to arrange for a survey on the boat.

Thanks again for your comments. I hadnt even thought about hiring a 'skipper', its something I will look into.

Cheers,

Eric.

carlton

Visit site
On reflection, road really is the way to go. Learn the handling skills on the river, hopefully make some friends at the marina and venture out onto the Humber over a period of time, then at some time in the future berth the boat at Hartlepool.

Thanks again for your comments. I hadnt even thought about hiring a 'skipper', its something I will look into.

Eric,

It's your call, but if you're intending to keep your boat at Hartlepool why not truck it there directly? You're fortunate in that forumite coastwise (Paul Martin) is an RYA instructor based there. He's a top bloke and his tuition - either on your own boat or his - is first class.

Good luck with the survey.

Last edited:

vandy

Visit site
The best thing you can do is to hire a skipper and then sit next to him and bring the boat to wherever you want to moore the boat.

You will learn a lot of things from him (the longer the journey, the better) and you can ask as many questions as you want. This is what I can suggest.

BUT, I may also suggest you buy a smaller craft first, for the first summer. Something cheap for like £1k-£2k which will not have much depreciation value. Then learn (and break!) boating as much as you can and your time allows and then upgrade to a Princess 32 next season (or at the end of boating season when a Princess 32 is AT LEAST 20% cheaper compared to its current price).

In any case, boating is the BEST thing that one can do! no one can say that boating is not fun!

tabler

Visit site
Like I said earlier, I had never thought of a skipper and it opens up a whole new range of options. ie: with an expert at the helm, taking the boat up the Humber and learning all the way. :)

I hired the 31' Colvic cruiser from Bishopthorpe several times last year,

just to ascertain that I really did want a boat (I do), and I thought I would like to spend some time getting to know whatever boat I purchased on that stretch of river whilst learning about the sea etc.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

PCUK

Visit site
A Princess 32 will have probably finished depreciating at this age so I can't see any point in delaying. You didn't mention the engines. Is she an 8 knot with 30hp engines or planing with big-uns?

tabler

Visit site
A Princess 32 will have probably finished depreciating at this age so I can't see any point in delaying. You didn't mention the engines. Is she an 8 knot with 30hp engines or planing with big-uns?

I think your right, all the decent boats seem to be around the £20k mark (although I have seen them for a lot less for what I have assumed is called a 'shed' on the forum). :D

She has twin 106hp Penta Diesels and the brochure is quoting a 14 knot max speed.

Before I spotted this boat for sale I was very keen on a Fairline Mirage 27 with twin 65hp Peugeot diesels for sale at Farndon marina, but was unsure whether these might be underpowered for coastal use.

rafiki_

Visit site
For what it is worth this is my 4pennyworth. The Princess 32 is a great starter boat, but she will be quite old now, and probably will have spent most of her life ditch crawling on the Broads. I'm not knocking it, as this is one of my favorite places. However, to take on the North Sea is a big challenge in an old boat for your first trip, so your conclusion on trucking to your home port is spot on.

There will be a lot of maintenance to do. In an ageing boat this is innevitable, and if you tackle this yourself, you will derive great satisfaction from the end result, as well as bared and bleeding knuckles and a sore back.

Anyway, good luck, and enjoy your boating. There is nothing more relaxing than sipping a glass of something, at the end of a good days cruise, river or sea.

PCUK

Visit site
Just had a thought!
Check that spares are readily available for the engines. Some Volvo engines of this era are now totally devoid of spares so if anything major happens the engines are basically scrap. If these are the engines in question, then you will need a very substantial reduction in the price of the boat to make it viable.

neale

Visit site
Just had a thought!
Check that spares are readily available for the engines. Some Volvo engines of this era are now totally devoid of spares so if anything major happens the engines are basically scrap. If these are the engines in question, then you will need a very substantial reduction in the price of the boat to make it viable.

That's a good point. These engines are probably AQD32's and, from memory, are one of those that parts may be difficult to find.

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk
If you do go ahead and buy the Princess feel free to send me a message if you need any advice. I have owned one, with twin AQD32A engines, for about seven years and have sorted out quite a few problems in that time.

captainscott

Visit site
Horning to York?

I would guess if your boat has lived on the tranquil Norfolk Broads the safe way to get to york would by road transport. Going to sea is for experienced sailors, better safe than sorry.

tabler

Visit site
Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
A Princess 32 makes a good first boat, we had one and loved it.
We had the same engines, badged as VP 106 but in reality they are a Peugeot Idenor and have an alloy head, which I understand is difficult to replace. You will probably not get 14 knots, more like 9 or 10 and then it sounds as though the boat is going to shake itself apart.

Whilst originally capable of coastal passages they are probably now okay for estuary cruising or coastal hops but wouldn't like to cross the North Sea in one. That said, with proper preparation should be okay but nonetheless a good move to take her by road.

Be sure to have the outdrives looked at to ensure there is no water in the oil, that the gaiters are in good condition and that there isn't water dripping from the steering arm seals. Also worth having the engines looked over by someone who knows what they are talking about.

I was at NYA in Horning a couple of weeks ago but didn't see her and I don't recognise the boat from the link you have posted so can't offer any specific advice. Looks fairly tidy though and the heads compartment has been refurbished by the look of it (originally light blue bulkheads).

Good luck and enjoy.