Advice on Nasa Depth meter

gunman

Visit site
At the end of last season I bought a sonata with a Nasa depth meter. When powered on it simply displays a 'E'. I firstly thought this was for error but reearch has shown it is meant to, but should display a value after it, which it doesnt.

Does this sound like a transducer fault? If so, what would it look like and what's the most likley location for it? I take it this is a 'through hull' transducer?

Thanks for any advice.

GrahamM376

Visit site
At the end of last season I bought a sonata with a Nasa depth meter. When powered on it simply displays a 'E'. I firstly thought this was for error but reearch has shown it is meant to, but should display a value after it, which it doesnt.

Does this sound like a transducer fault? If so, what would it look like and what's the most likley location for it? I take it this is a 'through hull' transducer?

Thanks for any advice.

The transducer may not be through-hull, it could be mounted inside either in an oil filled tube or glued direct to the hull. Should look like this - http://www.force4.co.uk/5091/Nasa--Depth-Transducer.html

Once you've checked the wiring through and it's OK, suggest you phone NASA, they're generally very helpful.

rob2

Visit site
We used to get this when the oil bath for the transducer ran low (never quite got it to seal). A quick gloop of cooking oil into the mounting tube and all was well again.

Rob.

Chrissie

Visit site
We used to get this when the oil bath for the transducer ran low (never quite got it to seal). A quick gloop of cooking oil into the mounting tube and all was well again.

Rob.

Probably the oil well, baby oil doesnt thicken up as much as cooking oil, gentle tapping to ensure you dont get an air bubble under the transducer, sometimes warming the baby oil bottle in a pan of hot water can expel bubles easier.

gunman

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I think the first thing to do is find the transducer then:D. I'm a bit nervous without a depth meter as I'm on a lake and the keel sits 6" deeper than the max recommended draft (not a problem provided stay in the right pars of the lake).