Advice needed - Cockpit bags

TSB240

Visit site
Why buy a string bag? I use the Tesco Drawstring loose vegetable bags for all my cockpit lines.
They have lasted at least one season.
They allow your lines to dry out.
You can see the line marking colors through them as they are opaque..

Refueler

Visit site
Why buy a string bag? I use the Tesco Drawstring loose vegetable bags for all my cockpit lines.
They have lasted at least one season.
They allow your lines to dry out.
You can see the line marking colors through them as they are opaque..

No-one provides string bags here ... they are a reminder of Soviet times ..

When I got mine of eBay .. wife saw them and wanted a couple .. so I had to order more. Every shop she produces them in - gets smiles and comments !!

The eBay ones are actually strong and good quality .. and in different colours ...

OK - I originally bought them for dividing up gear and making easy to lift out from the on-board fridge .. but they make excellent line holders. As you say - lines can be seen ... lines dry out ...

Reusable String Shopping Grocery Bag Shopper Tote Mesh Net Woven Cotton Bags | eBay

OK error ... they cost a bit more than I remembered .... but they are good quality ..

LiftyK

Visit site
You can get string bags from a scuba diving shop. They are known as goody bags and come in a range of sizes.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
The downsides with halyard bags and lines back to the cockpit is that they take up space for instruments on small boats . As the march of technology moves forever forward, I now have a couple on a swing out boom.

Neeves

Visit site
D

Depending on weight, finish supplier etc. £10 - £18. Spool of V69 thread, enough to make about fifty halyard bags about £8.
Having now done some larger projects I have to say that should I want to make something small I have fabric remnants etc. so don’t need to purchase.
However the satisfaction of creating something precisely to suit is difficult to put a price on.
I think a lot of people should be sent to Scotland for re-education.

Acrylic canvas? - what do you do, or others do, with old Dacron sails. Your sheet/halyard bags will cost a fraction of that Stg8 you paid for the spool of thread, you will recycle a sail that would have sat in land fill for 100s of years and the bag(s) you make will be exactly what you want. Don't have a sail that needs retiring (you will, soon), just look in the marina skip.

Jonathan