aditives in diesel

Lantic Lass

Visit site
hi again
thanks for comments on falcon 27
i was reading today about aditives for diesel fuel to enhance performance/useage
anyone using or is it all a gimic
rob

mikesyam

Visit site
Me and this one
http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/28/millers-diesel-power-sport-4--5-litres-

Its great, I tried it originally to boost the cetane rating of red diesel to that of road fuel which it has done !00% and cured years of Ebber heater problems and as a bonus my Volvos have 99% stopped smoking, start instantly and pull stronger, cannot sing its praises enough, type in cetane on ebay and there is a cheaper version,
any questions by all means ask, its great.
Mike

epervier

Visit site
The best way to use less fuel, is to pull back on the throttles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

or if that's not economical enough, switch the engines off /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

unless, you have the more modern generation of engines with management control computers measuring everything air flow, fuel, temperatures, etc, the engine burns what it burns, you can only help improve the situation with regular servicing and maintenance.

only, of course IMHO

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
I am using Millers Diesel Boost on the recommendation of a local Mercruiser agent. I have only used it in the last fill but the engine seems to run well with it. I haven't done a scientific comparison but apparently it raises the "octane rating" or diesel equivalent, by 4 points.

Lantic Lass

Visit site
its not that im being tight i just want the best performance i can get!!!!!
for my buck

im glad its not just a gimmic and shall be trying some and let you know if it makes a difference
cheers to all

mikesyam

Visit site
It is commonly thought that red diesel is road diesel with a red dye in it. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. There are two types of red diesel available, one is Gas Oil with red dye, and the other is Low Sulphur Gas Oil (City Gas Oil) with a red dye. The latter meets BS EN 590 and has the same specification as road diesel.

We have contacted a couple of Fuel Suppliers to ascertain "what exactly is it in the fuel that makes it different".

The main differences between "Gas Oil (non BS EN 590)" and Low Sulphur Gas Oil (to BS EN 590), is the former has a lower 'Cetane rating' 46 against 52, higher sulphur %Wt 0.2 against 0.005, higher Flash point 82 against 67 and Carbon residue, on 10% distillation residue, %Wt .12 against <0.001.

rafiki_

Visit site
You should use a diesel treatment like Soltran to inhibit diesel bug. Works well in my experience. Does not uprate performance, but diesel bug can be really frustrating.

mrgrumpy2

Visit site
If you use Millers power enhancer can you also (or do you need to) add something like Soltran to keep the dreaded diesel bug under control?

whisper

Visit site
Re. Soltron - we used it for about 2+ years without any problem then got "The Bug". One needs to vary what you use apparently so we now use something else - name escapes me at the mo. It's one that came out well in recent comparative trials in the mags.