Adding NASA ais & splitter to Raymarine E80

andybussell

Visit site
This should be a simple job but on completion rates of acquisition are slow and target ranges only a couple of miles.
If I connect the NASA engine direct to the vhf aerial then lots of data, very fast and ranges out to 10 miles.
Do I need to replace the splitter or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance

andybussell

Visit site
Thanks guys - yes , just a simple NASA engine. I'm going to go with the current set up and see what it's like in practice, next season. If I don't like it then yes, a dedicated aerial is the way to go.

pvb

Visit site
It would require an assumption that NASA have not released an AIS transceiver recently and the only way to check that would be to Google it ...... and, as you know, I don't Google. :D

Not sure how anyone can function efficiently without Google...:rolleyes:

RobbieW

Visit site
On the basis of not much info it sounds like the splitter. I have a similar arrangement with a (powered) splitter servicing a NASA Engine feeding OpenCPN, cant remember what make the splitter is. I get fast acquires and reasonable distance, 15-20 miles from a masthead antenna. Does it make any difference if the VHF is turned off ?

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Hi, it is powered but shares power input with the vhf so can't be run independently.

That should be fine provided that you always have the VHF switched on when you are using the AIS, which you clearly do otherwise I don't think you'd be getting any targets at all.

I do wonder if there is something wrong with your splitter? Has it ever worked properly or is this the first system you have installed it in?

You might be able to borrow a different one for a few hours and switch them over to see if that solves the problem. If it does I would return your current splitter.

Richard