AD31 raw water leak

Viscount

Visit site
Was at boat today and noticed on tick-over raw water dripping out where there is a metal pipe connected to the bottom of the impeller housing. Increasing revs increases the leak. Can anyone advise how the pipe is fitted and how I might reseal it? The impeller cover has a bracket bolted on the front of it (held by 2 of the retaining bolts) that has a fork reaching underneath the pump but the fork seems not to do anything. Thanks for any help.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Was at boat today and noticed on tick-over raw water dripping out where there is a metal pipe connected to the bottom of the impeller housing. Increasing revs increases the leak. Can anyone advise how the pipe is fitted and how I might reseal it? The impeller cover has a bracket bolted on the front of it (held by 2 of the retaining bolts) that has a fork reaching underneath the pump but the fork seems not to do anything. Thanks for any help.
The fork holds the metal pipe into the strainer housing .
The seal is a square section o ring , the fork locating bolt is very difficult to access, you will need a 1/4 drive socket set .

Viscount

Visit site
Thanks Paul, I've maybe not explained clearly. The fork in my case is part of a small bracket that is bolted to the front of the pump cover - i.e. it is retained by 2 of the bolts that fix the cover in place. I've seen drawing of a different fork retained by a single bolt from below but that's not what I've got. There seems no connection/contact between the fork and the metal pipe.

Viscount

Visit site
Believe the pump is a Johnson F8B-905 ( 10-24130-3 ). Might help when searching for pics & parts.

Thanks for the drawing; not sure if that is the pump or not but the bracket to which I refer is not shown in the drawing but, as you say, it might help in a search.

Viscount

Visit site
It's quite like that at the bottom but the top is connected to a black plastic filter component. Attached is a poor picture but perhaps can be made out. I will take a decent one when next at boat.

Attachments

• Boat-20040406-095246-9dP02693.jpg
    Boat-20040406-095246-9dP02693.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 25

bowler

Visit site
The bracket/fork should be pulling up on a collar/lip on the pipe as VP describes. The rubber seal is above the lip. There should be contact between fork and pipe?

Viscount

Visit site
The bracket/fork should be pulling up on a collar/lip on the pipe as VP describes. The rubber seal is above the lip. There should be contact between fork and pipe?
Thanks. Neither engine has anything above the bracket on the pipe; that's clearly an issue; any idea what the part numbers are for the o-ring and spacer?

Viscount

Visit site
I mean't to say spacer next to seal above the land/flat in the tube.
Are you suggesting there is something about the end of the pipe (tube?) that I need to somehow recognise? Sorry if I'm being thick but I can't quite understand what you are suggesting but thanks for taking time to help nevertheless.

stelican

Visit site
Look at the video where installing top tube into pump. Look at the end of the pipe there is a flat between the paint and the copper section this is where the spacer goes. Between the seal and the land on the pipe I believe!

Viscount

Visit site
Now found a drawing that looks like the sea water pump so ordered some parts. Thanks all for help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 09.33.18.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 09.33.18.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 13